Deep In My Bones I Can Feel You

KATRINA

A week later after I blocked Craig on Messenger here I am sitting right next to him at class. Not a word from him to me and not a word from me either. It's not as if I would talk to him anyway. I didn't exactly know how things turned out like this but the next thing I know when I got back from the restroom minutes ago, the seating arrangement was changed by Craig's dad.

Up till now I still ponder on Craig calling our teacher his dad. What happened in the past year? I really am dying to know since Craig's actual father— John Ramos— is very dear to me. He was like a father to me as well. He loved me just like his own daughter.  Apparently, Craig is an only child and John admitted to me one time that he wanted a girl instead of a boy. I remember Craig rolling his eyes over and over everytime his dad mentions that.

I didn't notice that I was smiling at thin air when Craig suddenly snapped his fingers at my face. I went back to my consiousness and found that everyone was staring at me.

"A penny for your thoughts, Ms. Gomez?" our Math teacher asked. I stared back at her not knowing what to say. She smirked and asked me to stand up. "Is the quadratic equation (x-3)(x+2)=0 have the set of values 3 and 2?"she asked grinning. Everyone is staring at me... "N-no." I stuttered and paused to think.  "Because the set of values should be 0 and uh...-8."

Her mouth dropped open in surprise.  And everyone was smiling and whispering. Oh, the teacher thought I couldn't answer just cause I was spacing out? Well, unlucky for her.

Jennifer, who happened to seat way at the front clapped her hands. "Keep quiet, you there!" the Math teacher shouted and pointed at Jennifer, earning a few laughs from my other classmates. She turned to me and said "Just because you can comprehend the contents of my lesson quickly doesn't mean you can already laze away in my class."

"Oh, shut up." Craig muttered beside me. "Failing to embarass someone causes you to embarass yourself. Get over it. Now go and continue your lesson, I'm dying to know all about it." He said stressing out every syllable in his last sentence which earned this flared expression from the Math.

"You're gonna get in trouble, Ramos." She said slowly looking straight at Craig. "You're lucky Sir. Reyes treats you with that attitude of yours. No wonder your real dad left you."

CRAIG

"What the fuck did you just say?" I said calmly.

"Oh, only the truth." She smiled. Oh-ho, woman. You're messing with the wrong kid. I smiled back as she strutted to the front. Just wait, you devil. "Sorry for that, I will now continue the lesson that Mr. Ramos is dying to learn." She sarcastically said.

Is it really necessary to bring that up in front of the whole class? In front of Kat? It's not that I'm hiding it, it's just that do they have any idea how uncomfortable I still am when I hear those words? I mean yeah, I did sort of started it but she didn't have to go with something that personal. And besides, I wouldn't have ticked off if she didn't try to embarass Kat.

"Don't do that again." Kat suddenly uttered beside me without looking at my direction. Her voice was so quiet and cold. I looked at her for a few seconds and grunted. I will be doing that everytime someone tries to mess with you, Kat. I don't care if I get to be the one to feel the hurt as long as I can protect you, I'm alright.

Class ended in a few minutes and while waiting for the next subject, everyone did their own stuff except for me. I was too blank to do anything. Jennifer suddenly went to us and said "Craig, can you move over? I have something to tell Kat." I was about to nod when the next teacher came in. Jennifer pouted and went back to her seat,"Maybe later" she uttered before she did.

"So here's the thing," our Arts professor said hushing everyone down "I have a project for you all. Before anyone whines about it let me tell you that doing this project will give you something you all want in return." I listened intently just as my classmates did. Although Kat looked a little bit aloof, she always looks uninterested in every discussion. "There's this photo competition coming up next month and I want this class to participate and win."

"What's the mechanics, sir?" someone asked from the side. Our Arts teacher smiled and said "I don't know this batch's theme yet but the mechanics are simple. The headmasters will provide a theme for each batch. It can be about nature or witchcraft— anything, I guess. Then provide a photo with a model in it, obviously. It can't just be a landscape picture, you need to have people in it."

"Any rules?" someone else asked. "Specifically? Uhmm, no nudes." Our Arts teacher said and laughed heartily with the class.

"But why do you want us to win?" I asked. "Because of her." He replied nodding at Kat. "You got the upper hand because of her. And it'll just be too bad if you don't win at all. It's embarassing if you don't win when you already got a supermodel in class, right?" Kat rolled her eyes slightly. Still the same, I see? Kat hates being the center of attention.

"What's the prize though?" Jennifer asked. "It's either money or a field trip to abroad. That's what I've heard. But I'm trying to push onto giving cash prizes instead. I don't feel to comfortable with the thought of the 40 of you going to another country with just a few teachers to go with you. I don't think it's that safe." our Arts teacher said.

"We're old enough. Jesus!" Katrina muttered beside me. I smiled at her comment.

"Kat..." I mumbled to myself but not quiet enough because she turned her head to me with a frown. I turned to her as well and smiled weakly. Kat looked flustered and looked away and stared blankly at the teacher again.

"You have no right to say my name." She said. I chuckled and said "You do know that there's 2 more Katrinas in class, right? I was referring to Jane Katrina." She rolled her eyes and didn't say anything after.

"Pffft. Still the same irritable Kat." I muttered.

"Sir, may I go to the restroom?" Katrina suddenly spoke as she raised her hand. Our Arts teacher haven't gave her permission when she quickly stormed out of class.

I think I have to try a different approach. Gahh... I'm so stupid. I didn't expect her to get pissed off.

KATRINA

Inhale... Exhale... I'm at the restroom now looking like a freak, didn't expect myself to cry as I set foot in here. Oh, Craig. Can't you please just leave me alone? Why can't he understand that I can't actually cope with him? There is no way that I can.

To be honest, I still haven't moved on. I don't think I will be able to just yet. I shouldn't have went back here, it turned out to be a bad idea. I knew that it was but I thought I could handle it but no. It still hurts everytime I see him or think about him.

Someone knocked at the door and said "Hello, miss?" I jolted straight up in surprise and wiped my eyes quickly. "Yes?" I asked.

"Are you alright?" A male's voice asked. "You know we don't usually lock the women's loo, right? Because well... It's a school bathroom. There's plenty of cubicles and—"

"I know!" I said irritated. I'm not stupid. I sighed for the last time and looked at myself in the mirror. I opened the door to see someone I wasn't expecting to lay my eyes on at this moment.

"Josh..." I smiled.

-

Longer chapter to make up for the late update? :( Please forgive me /cries/