chapter 22: it is new years and a goodbye

warning: unbearably short

Lila's POV

God, the ride was torture. Honestly, I'm surprised I'm alive. The days pass by too quickly for my liking, and soon it is New Years Eve. The television is turned on for us to watch the ball drop. We're eating a mix of take-out food, like KFC, and Mum and Cara's desserts. 

It's a family tradition to state our resolutions to everyone, and we have to have at least two. We make a stage out of a small cardboard box stuffed with cookbooks. Here's how they sound like:

Mum- lose more weight and spend more time with family

Cara- lose more weight and spend more time with family

Dad- be more romantic and spend more time with family

Joey- Bunjee jup, be more romantic, and spend more time with family

James- Get a decent job, pass college, and not spend more time with family (we all laugh at it)

Tristain- Spend as much time with Lila as possible, and spend more time with family (Dad complains that they're both the same, but everyone passes it)

Lila (me)- Spend time with Tristain, be a better person, and spend more time with family

By the time we finish eating, finish resolutions, and play a traditional game of cards: it's already eleven. The drinks are taken out and Tristain and I groan. Brilliant. It'll be up to us to take care of these drunkards.

It's almost midnight, now, and I hold my breath. The year flashes before me and I think on what I can improve on and then: "2011" begins. The second it becomes midnight, couples kiss. James kisses his teddy bear, James Jr. And I kiss Tristain. It's exhilrating. He lifts me up and spins me about. Mum and Dad stumble to the floor, giggling. Joey and Cara dance and  then fall. James snogs his teddy bear hard (which is weird because his teddy bear is male) and the new year starts.

And then Tristain leaves. It's a tearful goodbye.

"I will see you again soon, my love" He promises, hugging me tightly, "And your wearing a too-ugly pair of shoes. Toss it out, I hate it" He's joking, I can tell.

"Well your socks are ghastly. I honestly don't know why you bought them in the first place. Your poor old brain must've been befuddled"

We snog, and the parents, who all came to the airport, protest. 

"Alright, Dad! Seriously, calm down!" I scoff. Tristain and the family all turn towards the gate and I feel my heart cry a bit. Cara and Joey wave, but Tristain doesn't.

Then Tristain drops all his luggage and pulls me to him for one last, passionate and fleeting kiss before racing back.

"I'LL COME BACK FOR YOU!" He shouts, "AND WEAR A DIFFERENT PAIR OF SHOES, UGLY BASTARD"

The onlookers are bewildered but I just grin.

"SHUT UP FILTHY WANKER! YOU BETTER COME BACK!"

And then he's gone. We return home in silence. And I count the days until I see Tristain again.