“Great, everyone should be on the same page now,” Caedmon said, finally relaxing a little. “We depart in the morning at seven. Everyone needs to be well rested for the journey to the Capitol. So go now, be packed for four days max. I’m expecting two days. No one tells anyone outside of this room where we are going.” Caedmon faced the two adults,

                “Don’t say anything until after we’re gone—and only say it to people who need to know.”

                “Yes, sire,” they answered simultaneously. Caedmon looked back at the others,

                “I said ‘go’ already, didn’t I?” he asked. Without another word the rest of the company exited Caedmon’s quarters.

D ominic Campbell, Brave Camp, Western District…

Dom held his arms out for balance on the rock. It was the last piece of land unsubmerged that Dom could see in any direction. The water rushed and bubbled up around him and Dom’s heart raced as the perilous waters slowly engulfed the rock he stood on.

                A golden circle rose from the depths of the ocean around him. As it neared Dom made out shoulders on either side of the circle and hands pulling it towards the surface. The pale apparition broke the surface with a gasp and shook his head, sending the dangerous water everywhere. He grinned up at Dom and backstroked a few times.

                “Come on in, Dom! The water’s fine!” He spun in a circle, dove under, and resurfaced with a splash. When the apparition saw that Dom hadn’t moved a muscle he stopped and treaded water. The level rose high enough that the cold sea grasped onto his feet. Dom yelped and pushed up onto his toes.

                “Dominic!” the boy called more sternly. Dom lifted his fearful gaze. “Don’t be afraid of the water.”

                Dom looked back down at the water, relaxing. ‘That’s right, I can swim. Ha, I can swim better than Jaz! What was I thinking?’

                “Join me Dom! I have a feeling your swan dive is absolutely fabulous!” the boy laughed. Dom chuckled and pencil dropped into the cool water.

                When he opened his eyes he was in the underwater, white-tiled room again, completely paralyzed as always. Dom tried to make out the source of light above him, but it was like rocketing up from the deepest part of the bay. He felt as if everything was speeding up, rushing faster, becoming brighter, and getting louder until he finally burst into the air.

                Dom sat up and gasped for a breath, knocking heads with Jaz and falling back onto the mattress with a headache.

                “Oh man, that looked like it hurt,” Cal said from the bottom bunk across the room. Jaz was speechless and clutching his head on his knees.

                “By the Oracles,” Dom moaned, “I’m gonna have a goose egg there by morning. Jaz are you alright?”

                “I’m poking you with a stick next time,” Jaz grunted. “On long enough I don’t even have to get up to use.”

                “I’d be fine with that,” Dom said. “Or you could just throw something.”

                “Figure it out in the morning,” Cal groaned into his pillow. “Go back to sleep.” Jaz went back to bed and Dom rolled over to keep sleeping; only he couldn’t fall asleep anymore.