Chapter 35 Bobby

Bobby heard the footfalls on the woven root stairwell

Bobby heard the footfalls on the woven root stairwell. Then he heard the bones snap and the desperate gasps of the dying. His new companions were coming for him. Somehow he felt like today would stack up to some of his fights against the Nefilim before he became one. He did not struggle against his woven vine bonds, the raw skin on his wrists, neck, and ankles was too tender for another try. Instead, he controlled his breathing and cleared his mind. Nabu obliged his silence.

Moments later, a Ghostkin fell backward into his room. The giant's head faced the wrong direction. Bobby caught his dead eyes with a glance before the corpse hit the floor. A blur of blonde plaits, shells, and dreadlocks flashed toward him and he felt the stout woman's embrace like a fond memory of youth. Her deep blue eyes flashed from steel to a silky warmth and back. Bobby's arms dropped to his sides and Silaluk sheathed her blade.

"Are you able to fight, Skinchanger?"

"Sure, it's just a bit of rope burn. Where's Qannik?"

"Safe with Yuwa. He's tending Waterbreather and Firebringer younglings as well. He might actually learn to cook," Silaluk said. She twined her fingers into Bobby's hair and pulled him down into a kiss.

Bobby had kissed a couple girls before. He'd even been married to one before he became a copy. He had never been kissed like that before. Silaluk's people let their women take charge, and for good reason. His head swam.

She released her grip on his hair and laughed. "Can you still keep your feet, Skinchanger? I didn't mean to overwhelm your delicate Swapper constitution!"

Bobby accepted the challenge and returned her kiss.

Sachet backed into the entryway, deflecting a Ghostkin club with his spear shaft. "The spire has been overrun with warriors!" he shouted between steps in his deadly dance.

"We've got you, now we must retreat to the forest," Silaluk said. She squeezed his hand and then readied her spear.

"No. We are here. This is why I am here. Enkara and Namtar must be stopped. The fate of my world and this one depends on it."

"We can regroup. We are aided by Firebringers and Waterbreathers. If we rally more support, we can match the Ghostkin force, warrior to warrior."

"You have all risked your lives getting this far. Only those two beings have the power to destroy the future. This ends now."

The Icehunter warrior locked eyes with Bobby. He felt her appraisal bore past the skin. She nodded. "Let us save the races of humanity."

Bobby knelt next to the dead Ghostkin and unsheathed a scythe shaped blade from the corpse's boot. He gave Sachet a nod and the Waterbreather's pale bluish form disappeared into the stairwell. He followed with Silaluk on his heels. Bobby cast a backward glance while taking the steps two at a time. What few Ghostkin remained seemed to be fighting someone below. They reached the doorway at the top of the stair. Sachet had his head pressed against the door. He smiled and nodded. He and Silaluk stood at either side.