Chapter 33 Sachet

Start from the beginning

The river's thrum had grown to a roar, he could nearly feel the cold water on his skin. Sachet caught a glimpse of the river's shoreline and could see the drop-off another sprint beyond. Then the spear tip bit into his thigh. The Waterbreather somersaulted from the impact and his own forward momentum. His pounding heart and hard breath kept the pain at bay, even as he rose, unsteadily, and took a fighting stance. Hot wet blood oozed down the back of his leg, he could see the splintered bit of shaft poking out when he glanced back. Only half a hand length poked out, the remainder had broken when he fell. He would treat the wound later, if such a time came.

Knives in hand, Sachet backed himself toward the river preparing to clash with his hunters. He pulled deep, full breaths in, exhaling only in a huff, allowing his body to energize. Conscious breathing allowed him to embrace the fear without panic. He resolved to make it to water, even if he had to swing through the trees like Yuwa.

Leaves rustled, branches cracked, and a pair of Ghostkin burst into sight, charging toward Sachet, clubs swinging. Sachet continued his slow, steady retreat. He swayed his upper body to one side, avoiding a club, then stabbing in. His blade deflected off the bone armor protecting his opponent's ribs. The other Ghostkin swung straight at his head. Sachet thrust an arm up, catching a bit of the club, deflecting most of the blow. He lost feeling in the limb.

Another swing barely missed his ribs. The Ghostkin had stepped beyond his balance and Sachet head-butted the warrior on the side of the head. His bone helmet crunched and the warrior crumpled. Sachet inched ever closer to the shoreline. He was clear of the forest growth now. Only a hand tally of paces to the water.

A spear whistled past, slashing his shoulder before splashing into the river. The column of warriors now emerged from every opening in the tree line.

"Lay down your weapon, food," a warrior said. "You will die peacefully if you surrender."

Sachet nodded in agreement, then hurled the knife toward the warrior. Its tip bit into the giant's bare forearm as he covered his face. The Waterbreather half sprinted, half hopped for the river.

A pair of warriors sprinted after him and one tackled Sachet, tumbling them into the river. The Waterbreather smiled as the giant attempted to pummel him with punches while they were submerged. Physical prowess may have awarded the advantage to the Ghostkin on land, but here in the water, Sachet could dispatch their entire force, even bleeding and exhausted.

The Ghostkin's corpse floated downstream and over the waterfall. Sachet stood, chest and shoulders out of the water, tempting the other Ghostkin to try him. He dodged what spears remained to be thrown then laughed as one of the warriors actually waded in after him.

Sachet plunged under the river's surface and skimmed the pebbled riverbed as he swam toward his foe. He stabbed the man in his belly and gutted him like a fish. Shocked expressions stared back at the Waterbreather as the Ghostkin on the shore realized how the odds had turned. The second corpse fell over the falls.

Ghostkin warriors retreated into the brush without another sound.

Sachet waded to the edge of the waterfall and looked down upon a familiar sight. Mangrove trees loomed over swamp. Waterbreather territory began here. He dove and slipped into the brackish water without a splash.

Rather than surfacing, Sachet found the twisted path between mangrove roots and shoals of fish. He swam for the remainder of the afternoon, until at last he pulled himself ashore in the cave network his people used for their landed home. A sentry greeted him as he surfaced.

"Sachet, welcome home. Your Grandmother asked us to look out for you and make ready for war." The sentry walked around Sachet, and knelt behind the wounded Waterbreather. "It is fortunate for you this spear tip stuck. I'll fetch the healer. Whatever you do, don't touch the wound."

Sachet settled on the cave floor and allowed himself to relax until he was able to soulwalk.

His soul flew into the jungle, down to the overrun Firebringer community that had become Ghostkin city. There, shackled to a wall, speaking as if in a daze, Bobby seemed to be reciting the history of his Skinchanger people, the Nefilim, to a small white haired woman, who marked parchment and nodded along.

Even as he spoke, a transparent likeness of Bobby emerged from his battered physical body and smiled at Sachet. "Don't worry, they want me to let her record all of the Nefilim and Anki history before I'm executed. Nabu can keep talking for years."

"It seems you had a rough run-in too. I followed your soul here, but I expected to find you near the forest. This place is a week's walk."

"I went through one of their portals when the Ghostkin showed up. Are the others alright?" Bobby asked.

"I was alone. Can you keep up the history lesson until we regroup and organize a rescue?"

"Of course. I'll even get a chance to rest up. Nabu here, can talk in my sleep!"

"I'll give you warning when we are ready to confront these warriors."

Bobby held out two fists with thumbs pointed up. Sachet assumed this to be a Skinchanger salute and returned the gesture. His soul felt the presence of his companions nearer to his physical body, and they had paired off. He went first to Silaluk and Yuwa, eager to check on little Qannik's wellbeing.

  ##

Visit www.LARC-SciFi.com to read flash fiction from Bobby's universe or to buy Distant Origins, the book that explains Bobby's strange origins.