76. I'm Such An Idiot!

My parents were surprised I was home so early and when I tried to tell them why I was, I got flustered and wasn't able to say what was on my mind. I told them I'd explain it later and grabbed my laptop before heading into my room. I wanted to see for myself exactly what these stupid laws were.

I spent a few good hours looking through government sites and taking notes and trying to put all of this confusing information together. Everywhere I looked it was slightly different, but it basically all boiled down to what the policeman had told me. People under the age of 16 can't give consent if their partner is more than four years older than them. I tried desperately to find some kind of loophole and the only thing I found was something called a Romeo and Juliet exception, but that only applied to two minors, not an adult and a minor.

All I was coming up with was broad, generic info. I couldn't really find anything on my specific case. I hoped that I'd get lawyer or someone to help represent me during the trial. I needed someone who knew the ins and outs of this stuff, someone who could help me.

It suddenly occurred to me that David wasn't a US citizen. Would he still be given the same rights? Was he going to be treated differently? Did they have to bring English laws into this? I was about to look it up when my cell phone rang. I figured it was probably just Cam or one of my other friends calling to tease me about my weekend with David so I ignored it for a minute. Eventually though, my curiosity got the best of me so I picked it up to look at the screen. It was an unknown number. Ugh, if this is a telemarketer or something, I swear...

I hit answer and held it up to my ear. "Hello?"

There was a sigh of relief, "Oh, Angel, I was afraid you weren't going to pick up."

I immediately sat up when I heard his voice and pulled the phone closer. "Charming? Where are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine Princess, but I don't have a lot of time and I need to ask you something."

"Of course, anything. God, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I should've known about the laws, I'm so stupid."

"Angel, please, listen." I fought to shut my mouth and waited for him to say what he had to. "I don't know how long I'm going to have to stay here, so can you ask Speedy to upload for me? He knows my account password and all that stuff so that won't be an issue. I don't have much backlog right now so if you could send him any videos you have with me in them, that would be great. Oh, and the vlog I took yesterday, just tell him to put it on my main channel. If you could get Ash or anyone else to help out too, I would really appreciate it. I just don't want my subs to get worried, you know?"

"Yeah, I know. But what about me? I'm going to be worried sick! How am I just supposed to sit here while you're in... in..." I couldn't bring myself to say jail. It didn't seem possible for him to be in jail. So I changed it to, "While you're there?!"

"Please don't be worried about me, I'll be fine. I'm going to do everything I can to get out of here as quickly as possible."

I chewed on my lip, "I'm guessing you were questioned?"

"Yeah, and it's not looking good..."

I closed my eyes and sighed, "I know, it's so stupid that I can't give consent. But I've been researching all day, trying to look for a way around it. So far I haven't found much, but I'm sure I can come up with something. I'm not going to let them punish you for this, you didn't do anything wrong."

"Angel, don't concern yourself with it. The professionals will take care of it."

"No, I'm not going to twiddle my thumbs and wait for this to magically resolve itself. I'm going to help out in whatever way I can."