Trust and Obey

Psalms 37:1-40

    "Trust in the Lord!" If we could only remember this we would never be fretful. Trust destroys fear, insecurity, worries, and anything else that can attack us. Trust is what David was trying to tell us in Psalms 37. Believe God and trust!

David begins by saying, "Don't get upset over evil doers; don't be jealous of those who do wrong. Because they will fade fast, like grass; they will wither like green vegetables." This is quite typical of David as He reminded us in Psalm 1 that the tree planted by waters is the believer in contrast to the chaff as the wicked. So he says not to be over alarmed at the evil we see as its end destiny is soon to occur. They will be "cut down like grass and wither like the green herb." We need not envy something so short-lived and unproductive!

Instead we are to "Trust the Lord and do good; live in the land and farm faithfulness." Remember TRUST takes all the results of the wicked and turns them over to God. He is more capable than we are to carry out justice.

There are five Christian actions called for in these circumstances which come with fringe benefits to the Believers in verses 3-9:

1. "Trust" brings the ability to live peacefully where God has placed us to produce fruit;

2. "Enjoy the Lord" or "take delight in the Lord" and reap the desires of your heart;

3. "Commit your way to the Lord" and you will receive a good name lit up like the beginning

of a new day and His Justice for you will be carried out;

4. "Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him" for by this we gain patience and relaxing relief

From anxiety;

5. "Cease from anger" or "let go off anger and leave rage behind." You gain relief instead of

Reacting to a wrongful deed.

Justice is coming for both the wicked and to you as a believer. Be sure you haven't succumbed to the wicked's side. Why not desire a life that will reap a harvest and bring glory to God? (Read Ecclesiastes 3:16, 17). The wicked's Justice is to be cut off but "they that wait upon the Lord shall inherit the earth." Matthew 5:5 Jesus tells us, "The meek shall inherit the earth."

IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THAT! REMEMBER, "HE IS MY EVERYTHING, HE IS MY ALL, HE IS MY EVERYTHING BOTH GREAT AND SMALL, HE GAVE HIMSELF FOR ME, MADE EVERYTHING NEW. HE IS MY EVERYTHING, NONE OTHER WILL DO!"

David compares the righteous and the wicked by saying, " The wicked only plot against the just and grind their teeth at them," but my God laughs at them because He knows their day is coming. Even so the wicked keep inventing weapons to kill the righteous. But God will cause them to be pierced through by their own weapons and will destroy their weapons. So we conclude that it is better for the righteous, though threatened, than for the wealthy wicked. God holds up His people and draws close to them. He will keep them forever so they won't be ashamed nor go without food during times of famine or lack of supplies. "But the wicked will die, the Lord's enemies will disappear ...in smoke."

David mentions wealth but reminds us we are better off without it. We will be "generous and giving", "while the wicked borrow and don't pay back." He repeats the curse upon the wicked and reiterates the blessings awaiting the righteous. Not hard to decide where I want to be found!!!

God never breaks His promises! "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord and he delighteth in His way." Even a fall is corrected by God's hand. Age is no problem with God, "I have been young", says David, "and now I am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging bread." What a profound testimony of God's care! We can claim it for ourselves, as children of God the Father! What blessings we receive from our Heavenly Abba or Daddy! Even our children are blessed!

The following chart shows the many ways God cares for us as His children's and His Justice on the wicked in Psalms 37:

CHRISTIANS. WICKED

Verses Benefits. Verses. End results

11,23,29. Peace & Joy. 2, 9, 10,13, 15 Defeated

23-26. Mercy. 2. Cut off as grass

19. Plenty. 9, 28. Eliminated with children

28&29. Righteousness. 10. Non-existent

7, 34. Patience. 13. Coming Justice

39, 40. Eternal Life. 15, 33. Destroyed by weapons

17,24,28. Support. 17. Broken arms

18. Intimate 20. Death and disappearance

19. Not Ashamed. 22, 35 Cut off. Cut short

22, 27, 29. Possession of Land

33, 28. Justice

30, 31. Wisdom

34. Hope

David says, "Turn away from evil! Do good!" And live in the land forever. "Wicked people exalted themselves like a stately cedar." Then "they were gone. They couldn't be found!"

But "observe those who have integrity and watch those whose hearts are right because the future belongs to persons of peace," But the wicked will be cut short!

David chose these words, "THE SALVATION OF THE RIGHTEOUS COMES FROM THE LORD; HE IS THEIR REFUGE IN TIMES OF TROUBLE. THE LORD WILL HELP THEM-RESCUE THEM FROM THE WICKED-AND HE WILL SAVE THEM BECAUSE THEY HAVE TAKEN REFUGE IN HIM."

Need I say more...next time...

apl