So Real!

Psalm 1:1-6 

The title I have chosen for this book is the way it speaks to me. When we get a hold of something we want so bad we can taste it, we grip it in the palm of our hand and squeeze our fist tight to keep it from dropping or escaping. This is how I feel about the book of Psalms. It is so real to me! The Psalms are full of me! Everyday thoughts, problems, rejoicings, and griefs are addressed in Psalms. Who has not found their comforts, answers, assurances, or stress-reliefs from just one verse or chapter? Even the most ungodly have been exposed to the power of Psalm 23, if not, before they lay dying, maybe when they reached out to embrace a ray of hope in life's turmoil. "THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD, I SHALL NOT WANT!" (KJV). But LET'S FIRMLY GRIP THEM IN OUR PALMS AND NEVER LET THEM GET AWAY FROM US, SLIP THROUGH OUR FINGERS OR BE TAKEN FROM US BY THE DECEIT OF SATAN!

THEY ARE MINE

Some of them were written by David, as he started out as a shepherd boy himself and moved on to become the anointed King prophesied by the prophets, who would usher in the coming Messiah through his lineage! (Psalms 89:3-4, 20-29) But some Psalms seem to be written by other men who found in God the answer to their heart's cry for help. The old chorus we used to sing in church was:

He is my everything, He is my all.

He is my everything both great and small;

He gave Himself for me,

Made everything new;

He is my everything, None other will do!

Psalms bears the truth of this song out. No matter what my daily walk, He is all I need!

With 150 Psalms it is necessary to organize them by titles to take in all of them. They are divided into 5 books by many teachers of the Bible, but I will use 6 books in mine in the following manner so we may cover them all as well as possible. Thus I have:

Book 1-Wisdom Psalms;

Book 2-Lamenting Psalms, both individual and communal;

Book 3-Judgments and rejoicings;

Book 4- Sovereign Psalms, God's Sovereign Rule;

Book 5-Thanksgiving Psalms;

And Book 6-Prophetic Psalms, Prophecies of Christ;

In the Hebrew the word for Psalms is "Tehillim" meaning Praises. The word we use for Psalms is from the Greek "Psalmoi" referring to songs sung with musical instruments. The word therefore used for all the Psalms collectively is called the Psalter.

It is accepted that most of the Psalms were written by David reflecting his problems, victories, and moments of praise and worship. He began as a shepherd boy in Israel. Later being pursued with a death threat hanging over him from Saul, the King. Then as he became the king he faced rebellion in his own son, who desired his father's position. Some of the Psalms are attributed to the Temple music groups. Psalms 42-49 possibly were the Korahites; Psalms 50; 73-83 come from the Asaphites; and Psalms 120-134 make up the collection called the "Songs of Ascent" Sung by the pilgrimage group as they went up the hill to the temple to worship.

The Psalms contain many names of God as they applied to each circumstance and the miraculous rescue by God.(YHWH- comes from Exodus 3-4. KJV). Basically the Psalms are personal and reality flows through them. Nothing is supposition for these were people who lived as you and I do with governments and authorities who did not follow God's leadership. Ungodly people willing to take lives on a whim. They are filled with Immorality, jealousies, rages, and self-centered human traits by people who only lived for themselves. However, the cry of the Godly, righteous person is heard and answered by a loving, caring, living God!