cause i'm too young to be in love

5 years later

Castiel rearranges some books with a heavy sigh, cursing whoever screwed up their order. It was probably Zach, his incompetent coworker. Who would have thought that someone so ignorant would choose to work at a library? Why not a McDonald's or something?

Castiel steps back to admire the wall and begins to saunter back to the check out desk, where he probably should be. However, there's nobody else in the book store so Cas allows himself to look through the books and write down the names of some he might be interested in later.

Suddenly, the bell attached to the front door jingles as a customer walks in. Cas strides around the corner to greet them.

When he comes face to face - or chest to face, rather - with an extremely tall, shaggy haired moose, he recites his line like a machine: "Hi, welcome to McKay's, is there anything I can help you with?" He offers politely.

The man does a double take, looking Cas over like he's a complex math problem. "Wait don't tell me. Starts with a C, right? C - Cass - wait a second, Castiel?" He exclaims, as if he's found the lost city of Atlantis.

"Yes?"

"It's me! Sam! Remember! God, it's been years."

"Sam... Oh yes! Sam! You're Dean's brother!"

"Yeah!"

Castiel searches Sam's face for any resemblance to his younger form, but finds nothing. He has completely changed. "Damn, you've gotten tall," is the only thing Cas can think to say.

Sam shrugs. "I ate my veggie's. So you work here?"

"Yeah, I'm attending college across the street. On my final year."

"No way! I just started there this semester. Wow, what a small world."

"Indeed. How's your brother doing?"

"He's good. Great, actually. Hey, I could give you his number, if you want?"

"Oh no, that's fine. But I definitely think we should catch up some time. I work Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's. Come by anytime, there's hardly anyone here after the first few weeks of school."

"I will, thank you."

Castiel steps out of the way, allowing Sam to walk past him and into the abyss of paper and ink.

On his way out, Sam smiles and waves at Cas. "It was nice seeing you again," he says.

"You too!"

Later that day, in his dorm room, Castiel reflects on his memories with Dean and Sam. And Anna and Charlie. He forgot how much he misses Anna.

Thoughts of Dean bring back a concoction of warmth and heart break. It's an odd combination, but overall Cas wouldn't mind catching up with him. He wonders what Dean looks like now, and hopes he gets to see him soon.

One long week later, and Cas is sitting alone in the book store - rereading a thick book for the fifth time during his shift - when the bell jingles and in walks Sam, pulling an exhausted looking Dean Winchester behind him. He greets Cas with a smile and wave and walks Dean up to the check out desk where Castiel sits.

When Castiel and Dean first make eye contact, it's as if he saw their time together flash before his eyes. His chest bursts into flames as the walls around them crumple to dust. Castiel is engulfed in a sea of bright green, and the smell of sweet musk.

Dean's face has changed significantly as well, proportions now evened out and a slight scruff along his tanned jaw. Cas swallows dryly before remembering to blink. "Hello, Dean."

Dean looks as taken aback as Castiel feels. "Cas? Sam, you are such an asshole!" Dean punches his brothers arm.

"What? I said I ran into somebody from high school."

"Yeah, well, I thought you meant Charlie."

Cas' smile falls. "Can I help you guys find anything?"

"What? No, we're here to see you, Cas," Sam explains. "Unless it's a bad time?"

"No, not at all. As you can see, it's about as busy as a strip club on Christmas."

Dean chuckles at the joke, and oh god did it make Cas' insides churn. His voice has gotten deeper and fuller, but his laugh sounds exactly the same as Cas can remember it.

Castiel guides the brothers to an area in the back corner of the store full of couches and bean bags and sits down with a small sigh. "How have you been?" He starts the conversation.

Cas and Dean talk effortlessly for an eternity before Castiel finally glances at his watch and notices the time. "Woah, I gotta get home," he says. "Hey, when did Sam leave?"

Dean looks over to where Sam had been sitting and shrugs. "It was nice catching up with you, Cas."

"You too. We should do it again sometime."

"Definitely."

Later that night, Castiel opens his book to where he dogeared the page and a slip of paper falls to his stomach. He picks it up and turns it over, revealing a seven digit number and a smiley face.

Castiel bites his lip to prevent the smile from erupting on his face. He fails however, and can't even manage to hold in the school-girl giggle accompanied with it.

Definitely.