Chapter 7

Dedicated to naturality for following starlites. :) starlites is my co-author okay. she wrote like. 55% of this. haha ily gail.x 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Love is a trap. When it appears, we see only its light, not its shadows. 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Taxi's rushed by me as I wandered down 5th Avenue. I tucked my hair wearily behind my ear. This class project was the last thing on my mind.

I could not just act like what happened two days ago meant nothing. Natasha avoided me all day yesterday, still shaken up I suppose.

Tyler had tried to make me spill the beans. He didn't appreciate being left alone with Carter. I don't think he really minded though, I think they get along. Nat hasn't talked to any of them either. I wish I could have helped her. Comforting was one of the things I wasn't very good at though. That, I'll admit.

Thunder rippled through the gray clouds that loomed overhead. I raised my eyes to the sky. Please, please don't rain. As I sent up the silent prayer, I felt the first drop hit my forehead.

The nervous flutter in my stomach quickened as I looked down at my watch. Surely my day couldn't get any worse.

I walked passed a huge house, hoping whoever lived inside was somehow related to me so I could inherit all their money because I swear I could live in this house.

I didn't stare at it too long cause someone might think I was planning to rob it cause that's what they did in Home Alone the movie.

I was glad for the momentary distraction from my problems as I admired the house. I walked forward.

And then it hit me. I backtracked and looked at the house again and tried not to make my jaw drop off. I stared at him for a moment and hoped he hadn't seen me as I quickened my pace, walking away from the house.

"Leaving so soon?" Carter yelled down at me, a book in his hands as he leaned on the terrace, a cocky grin on his face.

I froze in my place. I couldn't be with him now. Not now that I know. He held my gaze for a moment as my heart beat out of my chest. Please don't invite me in. Please.

Carter shrugged and stood up straighter, "You can come in. We have to do that project thing right?"

I fiddled with my fingers nervously, praying that lightning could just zap me. I spaced out for a while, thinking of the many options I have so I could escape him.

Too late.

"Hurry up. It's going to rain." He said, staring up at the clouds in his new position at the door.

I sighed in defeat, walking sluggishly into the door. Should I act neutral? Pretend I don't know what I know; pretend that what Nat told me didn't include the good-looking jerk beside me?

He closed the door behind me. I inched away from him, looking at my shoes warily. I shouldn't be in here. I can't be alone with him.

"Welcome back, Hun." A sweet voice greeted, frolicking into the kitchen. She was wearing a cute modern calico dress. She had a tall, elegant frame and she was probably in her late 40's.

He held his arms out, a wide grin plastered on his face, "Mother."

Her eyes flicked over towards my direction and I squirmed under her gaze, slightly self-conscious. How did I even get myself in this situation? I gave her an uncomfortable smile, and her face broke into a graceful smile.

"Carter, you didn't tell me you were bringing a girl over!" She said excitedly, putting her hand on my shoulder, "Why don't you both get upstairs. We're finishing lunch up."