Chapter 2

Dedicated to Meera or @MarauderSky_  for making the cover of this story :) Thanks a bunch bae xo

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The fault isn't in the stars, it is in ourselves.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

My eyes adjusted to the darkness in a matter of seconds. Light poured through a half covered window on the far side of the room. The light illuminated a spot on the hardwood floor where he stood, Matt with his oh so familiar brown hair and his golden eyes. Suddenly, he laughed quietly and looked me in the eyes, “I still love you.”

I took an involuntary step back. This couldn’t be real. Could it? He took a step forward; the light brightened his hair, giving him a fraudulent halo. “I will always be yours,” He smiled calmly, “and you will always be mine.” The wicked glint in his eye warded me off. He advanced toward me, still wearing that sickly sweet smile. “Always.”

~~~

I jerked up, my eyes wild and my hair disarranged. I let out a breath I didn’t realize I was holding. Matt wasn’t in the room, It was a dream. Last night I dreamed of him.

                I dozed off a few more times, but it was always the same thing; him asking for my forgiveness. "What if I accepted his apology, he was drunk after all." I try to stop asking myself this question, but how can I?How can I stop asking myself a question that could change so many things? I shook my head violently. No. He was my Matt. I needed to get over it. He acted as if he loved me, he never cared.

I debated on this subject for a few more minutes, it was useless though, and it always came to the same conclusion. I needed to get over it. I need to forget him. Forget his chestnut hair that always felt soft when I ran my hands through them, His hazel eyes that he always tried to keep level with mine. His-

                “Scarlett, love?” My mother’s voice drifted through the air, “Were you planning on skipping a day?”I repeateda wide variety of curses as I hurdled off my bed. Seriously, Scarlett? Late in the first week of school? Urgh, Heaven help me. I didn’t care if I looked good or not, I really should care – but I don’t.

I pulled on a gray hoodie, a pair of skinny jeans, choosing my converse as a last resort. It didn’t take long for me to be ready, considering how I was moving as fast as Flash.

My mother yelled after me as I dashed to my car, sputtering curses as I went. I got in and screamed another list of curses – I forgot to refill the stupid gas tank. I ran out and slammed the car door and jumped on my bike. Biking skills don’t fail me now..           

Paddling as fast as my legs could, my mind worked on remembering the direction of my college. Since I just started on my first week, I wasn’t all that familiar. And to be quite honest, I suck at directions.          

After a few more turns and almost getting run over by an asshole driver – or was that just me? –my surroundings became more familiar but of course, I didn't take a rain check on the weather. I should have known it was going to rain, the weatherman had mentioned it last night. Damn you weatherman, why did you have to be right when I needed you to be wrong?         

Getting caught up in my thoughts didn't help either, because the faint drops of rain falling on my skin made me snap out of them and panic.          

Drizzled drops turned into full blown rain in a matter of minutes. I cursed repeatedly but brightened up once I turned the corner and saw the school building; as soon as I got there I secured my bike and sprinted into the doors.