12 - the last supper

-

-

Jade's POV

-

"Mom, could I talk to you? Alone." I spoke under my breath, pulling her by the arm to the side.

"What's wrong?" She muttered.

"They're not in the condition to have dinner." I whispered.

She laughed, tilting her head. "Don't be silly, Jade. I know you don't want me getting to know your friends too much, but it is just a dinner."

"Mom--"

"Now come on, let's get going." She motioned me out as I sighed.

I'd definitely regret this later.

-

-

We all sat at the dinner table as I picked at the peas on my plate nervously.

I looked up at Devon who was giving Luke the death stare from across the table, Luke doing the same as he ate my mom's pot roast.

"So, how did you all meet?"

"Oh, Luke loves talking about how we all met. Go ahead Luke, tell the nice people." Devon said through gritted teeth.

"Um.. I used to be good friends with Jade, and we just recently reconnected a few weeks or so ago. And Devon here, is--"

"Shut up. Just shut your damn mouth." Devon blurted, slamming her fork down as my mom and dad stared at them in shock.

"Jade! What did I tell you?" Luke gritted his teeth, motioning at the uncontrolled outburst that Devon just had.

"Sorry, would you excuse us for a second?'' I chuckled nervously. "Luke? Devon?" I cocked my head towards the kitchen.

They both reluctantly followed me into the kitchen as I slid the door closed behind me.

"You two need to stop acting like little kids, okay? I've had it with you two! Handle your problems like adults, not like two toddlers throwing tantrums because they didn't get what they wanted." I hissed.

"It's his fault." Devon whispered angrily.

"Okay, so Luke apologize and admit you were wrong." I pointed at him.

"I already apologized!'' He rose his voice.

"This is pathetic.'' She laughed, rolling her eyes.

"It's not my problem she's always on her period.'' Luke said, Devon lunging forward and shoving at him.

"Take that back!"

"Stop!" I whined, getting between them and holding them back.

They were both taller than me, so it looked slightly funny how I was so desperately trying to get them to stop fighting.

"Can you two just talk it out without trying to kill each other? Just please." I pleaded. "Both of you can come out when you two are calmed down. My mom and dad don't play around, they'll kick us all out." I rambled in a panic.

"I'm not going to be alone in a room with him, Jade. You're bullshitting me." She monotonously drawled, narrowing her eyes.

"I'm not bullshitting anyone, Dev. Figure it out, or take the fight outside, I'm dead serious.'' I rose my eyebrows before stumbling out of the kitchen and making sure the door closed behind me.