seven

"Alastor Moody." He speaks in front of the fourth year students as he writes his name on the board before Shawn Mendes walked through the door.

"And you are?" Moody asked the newest Hogwarts student.

"Shawn Mendes, Sir." Shawn said as the class went silent with all the students looking towards him.

"Well then Mendes, take a seat next to Maddox and don't be late to my class again." Moody told him before pointing at the free seat next to Carlson who gave Shawn a small smile as he walked towards her whilst the rest of the class returned to looking at Moody whilst some students whispered about how lucky Carlson was to be having the utterly gorgeous new boy sit with her.

"Hey, I'm Shawn Mendes." He greeted the girl as he sat in his seat and stuck his hand out for her to shake.

"Oh, I know who you are, you're the new Gryffindor student." She spoke as she glanced at him before fully turning around. "I'm Carlson Maddox, Slytherin." She spoke once again before shaking his hand and facing Moody.

"Ministry malcontent. And your new defence against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions? When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" He spoke as Carlson paid full attention at the mention of curses.

"Three sir." Hermione spoke as the class watched her.

"And they are so named?" He asked the brunette Gryffindor girl.

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will..." She continued before drifting off. If there's anything that Hermione hated about magic, it was for sure the unforgiveable curses.

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. Correct. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!" Moody said as everyone turned to Seamus.

"Aw no way, the old codger can see out the back of his head." Seamus spoke before Mad-Eye threw his chalk in anger at the Gryffindor students words causing each student to duck.

"So, which curse shall we see first? WEASLEY!" He shouted Ron's surname as Ron's attention drifted from Seamus to Moody.

"Yes..." Ron said quietly due to him being slightly scared of the DADA teacher.

"Stand up." He said to the boy as Ron slowly stood up in silence. "Give us a curse." Moody spoke lowering his voice.

"Well, my dad did tell me about one... The imperious curse." Ron spoke .

"Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." Moody says before popping open a jar with a spider in it.

"Hello. What a little beauty." Mad-Eye says before using his wand to send it around the class. "Don't worry. Completely harmless." He says as he noticed the students had become unsettled, before tossing it around the class with Carlson laughing as it lands on Crabbe's face.

"But if she bites...she's lethal!" Mad-Eye says as he places the spider on Ron's face causing Ron to fear as Carlson's eyes widen at the spider on his face. Not only did Carlson have a fear of lightning and thunder, but she also had mild arachnophobia. Mad-Eye proceeded to laugh at Ron's discomfort before the loud laugh of a Slytherin grabbed his attention.

"What are you laughing at?" Mad-Eye asked Draco before sending the spider onto Draco's face causing him to slightly scream as Goyle attempts to take it off, obviously failing and flailing his arms around. Carlson stares at Draco in shock as Shawn slightly laughs before looking at her, in wonder of why she isn't laughing and notices the discomfort on her face.

"Carlson, are you okay?" He asked the Slytherin girl.

"Uh, yeah. It's just that...I have mild arachnophobia so I'm just slightly freaking out over the spider in the room." She said as Shawn looked at her in shock. "I know right, it's pathetic that a Slytherin student has a fear of spiders, what can you do though?" She spoke with a nervous laugh as he took her words in.

"No, it's not pathetic. Just a bit weird." Shawn spoke as she looked at him. "Anyway, if the spider comes over then I'll try and help you." He told her with a small smile as she gave him one back.

"Talented isn't she? What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?" Mad-Eye spoke before moving the spider from Draco's face to some glass before dangling the spider over a bucket of water as the spider wriggles causing the class to stop laughing and train their eyes to follow the spider before Mad-Eye places it onto his hand. "Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only do did you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars? Another..another..come on, come on." He spoke whilst looking around the classroom as some hands raise into the air, including Carlson's. "Longbottom is it? Up." He says to Neville as Neville stands up like he was told to, as everyone else lowers their hands."Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology."

"There's the um... The cruciatus curse." Neville speaks before Mad-Eye comments.

"Correct! Correct! come, come. Particularly nasty." Mad-Eye says as he ushers Neville to follow him over to the spider. "The torture curse." Mad-Eye says before he begins to torture the spider with magic causing it to squeal, making Neville uneasy.

"Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering him, stop it!" Hermione shouts towards the teacher, noticing how disturbed Neville is causing Mad-Eye to stop before he picks up the spider which is still making a noise before placing it on top of the book in front of Hermione.

"Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse Miss Granger?" He asks the Gryffindor girl causing her to shake her head before Mad-Eye looks around at the students to pick a different student to answer. "Miss Maddox, could you give us the name of the last curse?" He asks the Slytherin girl causing everyone to look at Carlson.

"The Killing Curse, it's one of the most powerful and sinister spells known." Carlson says as all the class watch her answer, with the exception of Hermione.

"Well done Miss Maddox, turns out there is a brain in some of the Slytherin students heads." Mad-Eye says before turning to the spider. "Avada Kedavra." Mad-Eye says as he waves around his wand pointing it at the spider. "The killing curse. Only one person is known to have survived it. And he's sitting in this room." Mad-Eye says and he approaches Harry's desk and takes a swig of his drink before the bell rang to signal the end of class.

"Bye Carlson." Shawn says to the blonde with a smile before he goes over to his trio of friends who are currently trying to ease Neville down.

"Do you want to come to the common room with us?" Draco asks Carlson as Crabbe and Goyle stand behind him and wave a little.

"Sure thing." She says to him with a small smile before walking off with the three boys but as she gets to the doorway, she turns around a takes a quick look at Shawn before continuing to walk out.