The Mission

"Where are you taking me?" She questioned Cox.

"To General Strauss. He's the Headmaster at Kevlar. Phillip Kevlar is fictitious."

"So, it's true? The syndicate?" She looked outside at a spectacular view of the city. The buildings looked like tiny puzzle pieces glued together against a wonderful painting of seas and clouds.

"Beautiful, isn't it? Just imagine what could happen if they succeeded. We don't know what they'll do but every second, we receive threats of air poisoning."

"And you really think you need me?"

"With the way you think, yes."

"This is a huge world. Would I be hurt, Sergeant Cox? What do you tell my parents?"

"We are everywhere. We won't let that happen. In my 10 years in the Institute, not a single one of us has gotten hurt."

"10 years?"

"I was chosen just like you."

"Ohmigosh, you're Lucas Cox! Taekwondo Black Belt Champion!"

Cox laughed at her excitement.

"Yes. And you're Raven Samantha Montgomery. International Chemistry Quiz Champion. Three years in a row."

As soon as they landed at the forest about a mile away from the University itself, located about 5 miles from the city, Raven's team was approached by another group of men in suits.

"General, Lioness received" Cox approached the General. The General faced other men as another car was prepared for them.

"Scooby, Runner, bring package home." Ordered the General. Cox immediately escorted Raven to the car together with another agent.

"Where's Billy?"

"We need him in the base. You'll meet him later."

At Strauss' Office

"Ms. Montgomery, welcome!"

They walked through an office that looked more like a vintage library. However, there were screens everywhere: GPS, body monitoring screens, a screen running numbers and codes, and men in black suits standing in line at the right side of the office.

She stared at the man who was standing behind his desk. He is tall, thin, and with strands of gray hair which is very neatly combed. His voice sounded too deep for him. He also had a British accent.

"I'm William Strauss, Director, Kevlar University. Welcome to the team."

The room roared with the men's applauses. Strauss walked to her and grabbed her hand.

"I am very pleased, My Lady, that you accepted the offer. I was amazed at how good you are with puzzles, codes, and logic that I thought you are the best person to help us." He released her hand.

"You are surrounded by the best team of people from different parts of the world. You don't have to worry about anything. We got you." He assured her.

"So, tell me more about this."

"Please take a seat." Strauss invited. "You see there is this syndicate stealing files from everywhere. As Gosby explained, they will use Oxygen properties to create weapons -- as of now we are not sure. But w are getting reports of air poisoning threats and bombs. They,want to steal the files on Oxygen as so nobody could ever create an antidote or reverse what they would do."

One screen flashed the world map with red dots.

"You see, Ms. Montgomery, those in red are the palces wherein the libraries were robbed. And these, " some dots then turned green "are the web reservoirs where Oxygen files are continuously being hacked." He turned off the screen and looked at Raven.

"You see, there are clues. The head of the syndicate has escaped. He wants to play a game. He leaves traces of him everywhere but we cannot trace him because he has eyes on us. So we need you. He won't be suspecting a kid for the mission. Like I said, we'll be everywhere. Your country needs you."

"Ooh, OK."her voice were trembling. She started fanning her face with her hands. "Ooh. OK, so you took me to a chopper on purpose! To let me see the view and all what we could lose should I decline!" She started breathing heavily.

"Are you OK? Relax." Strauss calmed her.

"OK. Yeah, Yeah. I will help."

A woman approached them with a pitcher of beverage and some bread.

"Please, help yourself." And she did. She immediately took a glass and some bread but she didn't sip it at once. She looked at the the drink and felt something odd.

The people around her started drinking. Strauss just crossed his legs and watched her.

"This is odd." She claimed.

"Which is odd Ms. Montgomery?" She tilted the glass.

"Look at the texture. Smell it. This is not just a glass of soda. It's a bit purplish and thick. And it smells a bit sweet, bitter, and quite acidic."

Strauss smiled. The people around stopped drinking.

"Will you drink it, Ms. Montgomery?"

Before she could answer. There was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" Strauss ordered.

It was Billy with some of his escorts. Raven rushed to her friend when she noticed that he was drunk.

She cupped his face in her arms.

"Bills, you drank the beverage?"

"Ahaha. What... that... drank yes. Wow. This is so gooood. Rave, try it."

She rolled her eyes then faced Strauss who was smiling at her.

"No. Mr. Strauss. I knew it. It is a combination of prescription drugs and soda. Short term effects are dizziness or bad taste in the mouth or this. Drunkenness."

Suddenly, everyone in the room stopped gulping as Strauss' amazement filled the room

"Very good, Raven! Can I call you that? You passed the first test!"

"How about him?" Pointing at Billy.

"Well, this is just the first, he can make up for later."

Strauss walked to them and extended his hand for a shake.

"Shall we give you your uniforms, Raven?"

Cox interrupted. "Please, help us, Raven."

She nodded and shook his hands.

"So we start training tomorrow?" She asked.

"Yes. But we'll introduce you to your other classmates. For the mean time, you will be escorted to your dormitories. You have your separate rooms within the same house. Just call us if you need anything. Dinner will be served shortly."

"All right." She turned to Billy.  "Bills, are we good?" No answer just snorts.

"Welcome to Kevlar!" Strauss exclaimed.