Chapter Two: Coming to Collect

Start from the beginning

"Sera." I said standing up straight and smoothing out the wrinkles from my shirt. "What's up?"

"Your dad is sending us to go get his money back. Some old guy who owns a flower shop is three days late with the money." She said looking around. There were two other guys on the floor beaten up.

"So, he wants me to scare him?"

"That's the idea. Boss doesn't want to resort to violence this time." She said and tossed me a bundle of baby wipes in a small plastic packaging for my knuckles.

"How come?" I asked raising my eyebrow in confusion. I ripped open the bag and tossed it back to her after retrieving a few wipes.

"No clue. I didn't question him."

"Got it." I nodded as I walked past her and out of the alleyway. I tossed away the wipes as I passed a garbage can. "You know where we are going?"

"Course I do. I'm not Max."

Max is my other childhood friend. He's a bit of a weirdo but he's definitely trustworthy. He's clumsy and an idiot but he's my idiot and I wouldn't trade him for the world. He tends to be very serious at time. I was thinking of making him my right hand when I become the boss. The right hand has the full trust of the boss and usually handles things for the boss when they're busy. It's a big responsibly but Max is the only one I would show my back to when things get serious. Even if he is only sixteen years old.

I saw a black car parked on the curb with the door open. I nodded to the driver, who I didn't recognize, as I got inside. Sera got in after me and the driver closed the door. "New driver?" I asked as I got my gloves from inside my jacket and put them on.

"Yeah, George retired." She said getting out her phone.

"Shame. I liked the old man." I said propping my elbow on the car door and looked out the window. "Maybe I'll go visit him."

"Some other day. Today we're busy." She reminded me.

* * *

"Is this really it?" I asked and looked at the shop as we walked closer. The area didn't look too good so we asked the driver to wait a few blocks down so someone wouldn't vandalize the car.

"Hmm," she looked down at her phone and nodded. "This is it."

"Well, damn. No wonder he can't pay back father. He's dirt poor."

"I suppose." She agreed, "Are we going in or are you going to gape at how poor they are all day?"

"I'm going." I clicked my tongue in annoyance. I grabbed a cigarette from my pocket and felt around for a lighter. "Do you have a light?" I asked placing the cigarette in my mouth. Sera reached in her pocket and clicked the lighter on. She covered one side of the lighter with her hand to stop the wind from putting it out. I inhaled deeply to light the cigarette and sera pulled away pushing the lighter back into her pocket. "Game time." I said with a small smirk and opened the door.

I saw a kid that looked around my age. He had black hair as dark as the night. His hair was messy and looked as if he had just woken up. He had his eyes closed when we walked in so he must have.

"Jeez, does it really take that much time to go out for detergent, dad?" He said and opened his eyes to reveal two maroon colored eyes staring back at me.

"Not your dad, but try again." I said with a lopsided grin

He kept his cool. He didn't even look terrified as he stared back at me. Not even a glimpse of reaction was seen. He wasn't freaking out and didn't look terrified.

"Who're you?" He asked. I wasn't sure if I saw correctly but I thought I saw his eyebrows twitch in annoyance.

"Where's the owner of the shop?" I asked ignoring his question. I was the one that was going to be questioning him. Not the other way around. He sighed loudly and pushed off of the counter table. He walked over to me. I didn't know what kind of tricks he was going to pull. Sera and I were preparing for the worst.

He stood right in front of me and yanked the cigarette out of my mouth. "Pease refrain from smoking inside, sir. It kills the flowers." He said and threw the cigarette on the floor, stomping it out. "Thank you."

I raised my eyebrows in momentary surprise. I had never seen anyone be so confident in themselves that they went right up to me and did as they pleased. Behind me I heard Sera try to hold in her laughter, "Pft!" I heard her smack her hand onto her mouth. She must have found the situation hilarious.

I grabbed the kids collar quickly and held him up to my face. "Don't touch me so casually, kid. Do you want me to break your face in?"

He raised his eyebrows up at me in minor shock. "I didn't touch you. I touched the cigarette. I did give you a heads up before I plucked it out of your mouth."

I scowled at him in disbelief. "No, no you didn't." I corrected. "Listen, kid-"

"You keep calling me 'kid' but we look about the same age." He said. He didn't make an effort to free himself and kept his hands at his side.

I stared at him absolutely bewildered by his bluntness. Since he was a lot closer, I got a good look of his face. He was a pretty good looking dude. No doubt better than the other guys I had been with. He looked pure and innocent. He wasn't corrupted yet.

I opened my mouth to say something but the chime of the bells was heard as someone walked in. "Miki, I brought the- who the hell are you and why are you touching my son!" He shouted.

I looked back to see a man being held back by Sera. Her hand was on his chest as she blocked his way. "Don't get any closer."

"Who are you- wait, are you with Delacroix?"

"The one and only." I nodded pushing the supposed Miki away from me. He stumbled backwards but caught his footing.

Delacroix is my father's last name therefore mine as well. Since my father is the head of the Mafia, his last name is used as the group name.

"I'm his son and you're the man who's going to be in deep shit if you don't return our money." I said glaring back at the man I assumed was the owner.

"I'll have the money by-"

"Ah, I don't think you understand. We need the money soon or the next time I come by, I won't be so civilized." I assured him.

"Right. I apologize." He said bowing his head slightly with caution.

I looked back at Miki and saw he was already uninterested. He was back at the counter reading a magazine. I was super curious about this guy. He didn't seem bothered by anything and I wanted to be the one to break him.

"Your name really isn't Miki, is it?" I spoke up so he understood I was talking to him.

He looked up to confirm and said, "Mikhail."

"Mikhail." I said his name, trying his name on my lips. "I'll see you around." I turned around and signaled for Sera to follow me.

"I hope not." I heard him mutter under his breath.

Behind me I heard his father run up to Mikhail and apologize over and over. I heard a loud thump and an 'ow' coming from the father.

We walked out and down the street. "What's with the smile?" Sera asked curiously.

"I'm not smiling. I'm plotting." I corrected her with a small laugh. I was already looking forward to our next meeting.