Admitting Defeat

Admitting Defeat

***

Loving is doing anything for them,

Thinking about them

Constantly

And being able to spend your whole life

With that person.

Liking somebody is just like, 'Okay,

I like them because of this,

This and this,

But I don't know if I'm ready to be in love with them'.

~Chris Brown

***

When I had woken up, I woke up with a familiar feeling, only it was amplified to the max, and got stronger the moment I looked Dakota's way. I didn't know what the feeling meant, but I knew that it felt like there was an elephant stampede in my stomach and that the air around me felt electrified. It was something so intense and I didn't know how to handle it, so I just brushed it off and told myself it was just aftershocks of crying so much. Perhaps I was catching something.

I continued to lay beside Dakota, suddenly thinking to get back at him from when he took a photo of me crying, claiming that I was a beautiful crier, but in truth, I actually wasn't. I honestly thought he'd gone delusional, but Dakota was never one to lie, only to keep secrets. So, I reached my arms towards my nightstand, trying not to shift too much in his hold, and I quietly grabbed my phone and brought it close to my face. I then pulled up my camera and snapped a picture of a sleeping Dakota. Little did I know that the flash was activated, resulting in the awakening of a once sleeping Dakota Black.

He popped his eyes opened and squinted as he waited for them to adjust to the bright lighting. He then focused his sapphire orbs onto my blushing form. "Did you just take a picture of me?" He asked with a fatigued smirk.

"Um, no—No, I don't think I did." I lied, unconvincingly.

"Cadence, I can still see the picture of me on your phone screen. You aren't a very good liar; pretty sure I've told you that before." He replied, smugly.

I blushed and shoved my phone, face-down, onto my bed. "Sh-shut up. I was just getting back at you for taking a picture of me when I was crying." I admitted, sheepishly.

He snorted, "You need to work on being discreet. I could literally hear you reaching for your phone."

I gaped at him, "But I was being super quiet..."

He sat up and shrugged his shoulders, "I'm a light sleeper."

"So I've noticed." I retorted, sitting up as well.

"Anyway, what time is it?" He asked, looking around my room for a clock.

I checked my phone and then answered him, "It's two forty-five. School ended, like, fifteen minutes ago."

He nodded, "You want to go meet up with the guys at my place so they know we haven't killed each other."

I chuckled, "Yeah, sure. Just let me change real quickly." So, I then got to my feet and waltzed to my closet, where I picked out an overly large black t-shirt, which I soon realized was Dakota's from when he'd leant it to me during our spray painting spree, and a pair of black leggings. After slipping those things on, I exchanged my long, knee-socks for mismatched blue and green polka-dotted socks and shoved my feet into my fuzzy, green slippers. I then pulled my hair back into a ponytail.