Lesson Number One

Lesson Number One

***

Don't be afraid

To take a big step

You can't cross a chasm

In two small jumps

~David Lloyd George

***

"So, how did the first tutoring session go?" My mom asked, intrigued, her chin propped up by her hand.

I sighed, "It actually wasn't half bad. He's still kind of a conceited jerk, but he's sort of a nice conceited jerk."

She hummed, "Well, doesn't he sound like quite the catch."

I laughed, "He's definitely something, alright." Currently, I sat partaking in a Skype call with my mom. Dakota had left over an hour ago. And the time between him leaving and talking to my mom, I used to finish up my remaining homework. Mom was dressed for work, clad in a black, women's pantsuit and a purple blouse. Her dark hair, which I had inherited, was pulled into a tight bun, that sort of stretched her features, making her eyes seem a bit wider than the usually were.

"Does Dakota have any cute, scholarship friends?" She asked, while checking the watch on her wrist.

"Beats me, but I doubt it. There's not many scholarship students at Lakewood, I thought you knew that." I said, taking off my glasses to rub my right eye, then sighing as I placed them back on.

She frowned, "Yes, I'm aware, Cadence. I was just asking."

Suddenly feeling guilty for being smart with her, I opened my mouth to apologize. "I'm sorry, mom. I didn't mean to be rude. But, there really aren't that many scholarship students here. Besides, I'm sure not all the rich people are stuck-up snobs."

"I'm not too sure about that..." She trailed off, under her breath.

"Mom..." I warned, crossing my arms.

She sighed, "Fine, fine. I suppose not all of them are too bad." I let out a yawn, sheepishly covering my mouth with my hand.

Mom smiled, her eyes softening. "Get some sleep, sweetie. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I nodded my head, groggily. "Goodnight, mom. Love you."

"I love you, too, honey." And after one last smile, she signed off. I then changed into my pajamas and dived into my bed, not waiting a second longer to fall asleep.

~·~

The next morning had started out much like the last: I had woken up, gotten dressed, and left. That day, I had decided to skip out on wearing contacts and just go for the good ole fashioned glasses. As I'd stepped outside, I'd quickly discovered that it was much cooler than the past days had been. It was so cold, my teeth were chattering and goosebumps ran the length of my entire body. I scolded myself for not having something warmer to wear, such as a scarf or coat, and the fact that I was too lazy to turn around and go back to my dorm room to get said things. Granted, I had literally just stepped out the door, but I was just that lazy. Sucking in a harsh breath, I had begun my familiar journey down the sidewalk.

I stared, slightly envious, at those who drove past in air-conditioned cars. Those lucky ducks. Suddenly, a car slowed down beside me, before coming to a stop. Curious, but cautious, I stopped as well. In a split second the window was rolled down and I was met with the cold hazel stare of Amber Blake, a.k.a., "mean girl number one". Situated in the passenger's seat was none other than Dakota himself. He looked slightly surprised to see me, due to the fact that his eyes widened quite a bit. But within the blink of an eye, the look was gone and replaced with a smugness I wasn't too sure was real or forced.