The Talk

Author's Note: I own nothing. I just like to play with the characters that were created by Stephenie Meyer. No copyright infringement is intended.

Also, thank you for those of who have commented and offered well-wishes in my difficult time. It means a lot to me. Writing these stories has been my strength (as silly as that sounds) and has grounded me.

Thank you so much for reading and reviewing. It means so much to me. More than you can imagine. These stories (this one in particular) are my babies and I adore the reviews and comments I receive. Much, much love to ALL of you!

Chapter 17: The Talk

EPOV

I was worried about Bella. Her reaction was too strong upon entering her condo. My first instinct as a doctor was to calm her down. But a stronger instinct as her boyfriend was to get her the fuck out of there. Not that she would have left. Damn stubborn woman.

I was also concerned about her lashing out at me. What she had gone through with her ex-husband was horrific and terrifying. I get that. Really I do, but I had a strange inclination that she was comparing what he did to what I was doing. It was pissing me off. I want nothing more than for Bella to be happy. I see glimpses of it, but there's an insecure, scared woman there who is afraid of letting me in. I had to get in. She says she loves me, but I see the doubt in her eyes. Fuck. Lord knows I love her. So much.

More than Tanya. If that is even possible.

After our argument in her bedroom, I changed into a pair of scrubs and worked with Bella to finish cleaning her kitchen. We scoured and scrubbed every inch of that place. Bella then handed me a measuring tape. I arched a brow and she pointed to the cabinet door where there was a Bella-sized shape in the wood. We measured the door so Bella could replace it. I could see her hands shake when she wrote down the measurements as I read them off. I covered her hands with mine, gently taking the pen from tiny fingers. "You're not ready to be here. Baby, even with the Xanax, you're a nervous wreck," I whispered.

"I can't just stay with you, Edward. I have my mortgage and I can't afford to stay at both places," she said, running a trembling hand through her hair.

"What can I do to convince you otherwise?" I asked. "Make a pros/cons list?"

Her brows shot up and she drew her lip into her teeth. Fuck. I love it when she does that. Makes me hard. Behave, you perv!

I picked up the pad of paper with the measurements and the pen. I grabbed her hand and dragged her into the family room, plopping her on the sofa. I flipped the paper to a new page and put the pen in my hand. Bella chuckled.

"What?"

"I can't believe you're doing this, Edward," she giggled. "And random thought, I didn't realize you're left handed."

"Yeah, definitely random," I laughed. "Okay, let's start with pros."

"Hmmm, you get me out of your hair," she teased.

"Isabella!" I snapped. "I enjoy having you at my house. It's not as lonely. Be serious."

"Fine," she huffed. She rolled her doe eyes and tapped her lips.

"Having a hard time trying to figure out positives, Bella?"I chided.

"Shut it, Dr. Masen," she said with a sardonic grin.

Fuck, I love when she calls me that.

Must tame the monster. Down boy.

"Mail," she blurted.