Chapter Thirty Three

Depuis le début

He stood there gazing at her for a while and thought of the first time when he saw just her eyes. How desperately he wanted to find her but when he found her he just couldn't make her his.

Iris sighed deeply and looked away from the sky and saw Derek standing there, staring at her.
She raised her brow questioningly but found Derek to be unfazed by it.

A small smile formed on her lips when she realized that he was in a trance.

Looking at the guy in front of her, she never thought when she saw him for the first time that this 'cocky millionaire' would ever become the one and only reason of her smile.

A low chirruping of birds broke the reverie of both and pulled them into the reality.
When brown ones met the blues', their eyes widened in realization and they looked away instantly.

Hastily Derek unlocked the car as he ran his other hand through his hair and slipped into it totally flushed.

Iris looked here and there, startled with what just had happened and found the temperature of her face rising high. She rested her face in her hands and slipped from the bonnet and followed Derek into the car.

Derek saw Iris from his peripheral vision, she had by now buckled her seat belt and had rested her head on the seat with her eyes closed.

The horizon has turned into grayish black with few colours seeping out on it showing the arrival of the dusk soon.

Derek looked away from the Horizon to Iris who had her eyes closed. There was something calm about her that he could feel like the chaos has been washed out and the certain sense of soothing could be felt.

He smiled wryly and looked away from her to the road heading back to Hamptons.

Today had been the day he would remember even when he would turn all senile and gray.

Because today not only gave him the intense bliss but somewhat taught him the meaning of human actions and life but of love too.

After what seemed like a while Iris opened her eyes and glanced at Derek who was busy driving the car. She looked outside and found that they had entered the Hamptons and were just now a few blocks away.

Iris sighed deeply and looked down to her hands which was firmly placed on her laps.

'I grew up in a cocoon of love and care made by the people around me. I grew up alienated from the truth and harsh realities of the world. I never thought that darkness exists and even has the power to consume you to your core. But slowly as the illusion of happily ever-after fades away from my life I learned that I didn't learn at all. Life is all about experiences and I never experienced it. Rather live among the shadows of others hiding from the sun in the shade of obliviousness. I learned this truth the hard way. Today when I confront my biggest fear of being left all alone, I find my decision more plausible than before.
Love is the pillar of our life but we, our own self is the base on which our life stands. We can find love but we can't find our self once we get lost.
And I need to find myself not defined by anyone else but me. I need to find myself. And that's what I will do.'

With a deep intake of breath, Iris glanced back at Derek and caught him staring at her from the rear view mirror and looked away instantly escaping from his captivating gaze.

Shifting uncomfortably, Iris started scrolling down her phone to elude the silence that was building.

When a notification caught her attention sent by 'Headmen and Co.',
hesitantly she opened it and a conversation with Laura resurfaced in her mind again,