Chapter Thirty

"The Truth."

"She needed a reason to move on. Has she found it?"

Derek inhaled sharply, gazing at Iris from his peripheral vision. She clutched the chain around her neck firmly.
They have been standing by the shore from the past hour, oddly very quietly, staring at the sun diving into the clouds, leaving nothing behind but symphony of colors and warmth. The occasional hitting of waves reminded them of the passing time, other than that it seemed like the moment had ceased.

"Are you fine?" Derek asked as the subtle warmth of sun started deluding off his skin and he could feel the cold breeze of fall rushing over him.

"I am not." Iris shrugged and deeply inhaled, "I am confused. Everything seems confused. It's like whenever I try to move forward something pulls me back."

Derek looked away from the sun to Iris, the rays of sun falling on her face illuminating it. He looked at her intently and saw the conspicuous lines of distress on her forehead. "That's a first."

Iris glanced at Derek and frowned when she saw that small smile on his face.

"You. Telling me the truth." He pointed out.

Iris shook her head and closed her eyes.

Derek looked away to the ground and sighed deeply. He has been waiting for this moment for so long and now when it's here, he just don't know what to do. With a deep intake of breath he took out something from his pocket, it was a pendent- a star inside a circle. He took it in his palm and rubbed his thumb over it while staring at it. A wave broke his reverie and pushed him back into the reality.

He looked up and found Iris staring at the sky earnestly. He felt the same effect soaking his body what he felt when he saw her gazing at the painting at Mrs. Lancaster. He has grown so obvious around her, about everything he feels, everything he do, that it didn't astound him anymore. He knows that everything is related to her.And all leading to only one direction...Love.
He knows that, he accept that but he was scared of losing her. Because he knows her too.

With great deliberation he cleared his throat and brought Iris back from her reverie.
Iris turned to see Derek and gaped at the beauty in front of her, as the rays of suns slowly descended on his eyes, it seemed like they got mixed into them, making them bright with life. The blue wasn't blue but a symphony of emotions twirling in his eyes like they are calling her to drown in them and not to return ever. She is in love and she don't know what to do.

"The moment my eyes fell on them, I knew this was made for you."

Iris looked away from his eloquent face to the pendent he was holding and pulled her brows together, "B- But I can't take it." She said looking at the pendent.

"Isn't this a day for you to say yes for everything." Derek smiled as he looked at her expectantly.

Iris chuckled lightly, "Today is your lucky day."
She turned her back to Derek and pulled her hair aside.

"Believe me I won't forget it, ever."
Derek slowly put the chain around her neck and clamped it gently.
His gaze fell on the second chain around her neck, he frowned and ran his finger on it and felt the queer coldness, not the one of the metal but of something else.

When Iris realized that Derek had clamped the chain she turned around slowly to face Derek and smiled when she took the pendent in her hand which fell right above the ring chain on her neck.