Chapter Twenty Eight

"Jealous much?"

"I am only human."

Iris glanced at the mirror reflection of herself and traced her hand over her beige and green sundress, with a deep sigh.
The past two days after Derek's departure had passed in haste, in the preparations for Stacey's birthday. In it, Iris found herself a way to elude the questions pinning her head, as to why Derek left or why had she felt that sudden ache upon hearing him leave.

She thought of calling him and asking him. But what else she would say to him, that why she suddenly felt the urge to know about his welfare. She didn't want to give him the satisfaction that she started caring for him. Of course not, she does not care for him, he is just Derek after all. He is just some guy bugging her with his existence in her life. Persuading her to accept him.

'Did his persuasion powers work? Did she accept him?'

She fumbled with the chain around her neck until somehow it fell on the dressing table with a thud.

She found her throat parched, and the pace of her heart quicken.
She inhaled deeply and closed her eyes after picking the chain and the ring from table and held it tight in her palm.

Even after consoling her heart for the millionth time, she just couldn't be okay with the fact of letting go.

Shane... Derek...her own life. Everything seemed so confined, so suffocating, it's like her brain could explode any moment. Even after accepting everything it's just so hard to accept things. Maybe that's why we are called human, we feel too deeply.

She gulped hard and caressed the chain with a bittersweet memories of her past with Shane.

"You ready?" Veronica called from outside her room, breaking Iris's reverie.

"Just one minute." Iris replied.

She kept on fumbling with the chain in a dilemma to either hold it or to let it go. She closed her eyes and inhaled sharply, choosing the latter. She clasped it around her neck and could feel her heartbeat getting its own rhythm at its usual pace. She gave a last glance to the mirror before walking out of the room to the back of the lawn where the party was held.

Iris walked past some guests, nodding and smiling at them in acknowledgment.

She halted when her gaze met the blue ones staring her from afar.

"Derek?" she murmured as she could feel her body feel lighten with the weight of concern building upon her, since he left.

He nodded at her with a smile and unknowingly, she smiled back. No matter how much she denied her acceptance of Derek, but somehow within a course of time she really has accepted him in her life. Whether as a cocky or infuriating or even as a smoldering hot man. She accepted him.

She stood near the porch and saw Stacey running around the lawn with her friends, in her Cinderella gown with a tiara on her head.

'Bundle of joy, she is.' She thought.

''Iris...'' Veronica called and motioned Iris to join her by the refreshment table.

Iris walked towards Veronica and saw her in a total frenzy with droplets of sweat formed over her forehead.

"You look horrible." Iris tried to sniffle her laughter but failed miserably.

Veronica shook her head while putting the candles over the cake,
"I told Jason it was a bizarre idea. But no, how can he listen to me! He is a husband after all, *entitled of not listening to his ever righteous wife."*