| five |

I took a deep breath in, held it for a few seconds, then let it out. I moved my toes and flexed my leg muscles then squeezed my hands shut. I relaxed my hands and slowly opened my eyes. I squinted due to the bright light coming from my left. I blinked a few times, trying to get used to daylight shining through a big window. I noticed Brad sprawled out against a cushioned chair. One leg was hung over the arm rest, the other leg planted on the ground. His mouth hung open a little and his hair was a mess.

"Brad," I managed to get out. My voice was low and quiet, like I hadn't spoken for days, maybe even weeks. I cleared my throat and tried again, "Bradley," it came out as more of a whine this time but it worked. His eyes shot open and he was standing next to the hospital bed in no time. "He-" Brad cut me off by slipping his lips onto mine, cupping my cheek with his right hand. I was certainly caught off guard, but I didn't hesitate to kiss back. His lips were soft and a little dry, but it didn't bother me much. I was just glad to be awake again. He broke the kiss off but kept his lips inches from mine.

"I'm s-" there he goes again, interrupting me with his stupid soft kisses. I pulled myself away from him and smiled, "you're not ev-" my cheek suddenly stung and I recoiled in shock.  Brad had slapped me. I rubbed my hand against my cheek then I gave him a kicked-puppy look.

"That was for being a dick and doing exactly what I told you not to do." He leaned back down and kissed the cheek he had just slapped, "I'm sorry, but I had to." Just as he was about to pull away from me again, I pulled him back in for another kiss. I slid my fingers into his hair then down to his neck, trying to pull him closer to me. He slid his tongue across my bottom lip then took my lip between his teeth, biting it softly. There was a knock on the door and Brad pulled away quickly, standing a few feet away from me.

A nurse walked in smiling and glanced at both of us. Brad coughed and awkwardly moved further from me. "Uh, I'll go get you some water." He walked out past the nurse with cheeks as red as cherries.

I looked at the nurse who now stood next to my hospital bed. "Is he your boyfriend?" She checked the monitors then started messing with a few of the needles in my arm.

I shook my head and replied with a soft "no." She didn't say anything for a few seconds while she pulled out one of the needles and stuck a bandage over the now open hole in my arm.

"He waited here everyday for you, y'know. He wouldn't leave your side."

"Everyday? How long have I been out?"

"About a week, maybe more." He waited here for a week? Just for me? "He really cares about you, so you should treat him well. I don't know exactly what got you in here but whatever it was, I suggest you don't do it again."

"Oh um, th-thanks." I hadn't even thought about why I was here in the first place. But maybe that's not such a bad thing.

"And if you can, convince him to go home. He's starting to look like he works here." The nurse walked out just as Brad walked in. He handed me a bottle of water and I downed the whole thing in a few seconds.

A few hours later the sun already started setting and the commotion in the hospital was starting to die down. I was scheduled to stay for a few more days, a week at the most. Brad and I spent most of the day just talking. I looked at the clock that hung on the wall, it was getting late.

"Brad, don't you think you should be going home now? I mean...I'm not kicking you out, but it looks like you could use a night in your own bed."

Brad's POV

I had to force myself to walk out of the hospital. I couldn't stand leaving Adam alone like that, but he insisted I do so. At least he's awake and doing okay now.

I laid down then stared at the ceiling. I wonder what would've happened if I had woken up just a few minutes later. Would he be dead? What if I had woken up a few minutes earlier? Could I have stopped him? I can't help but feel like this is all my fault. That I could've done better at keeping an eye on him. I could've done a better job at keeping him safe.

I sighed and turned my body so I facing the side of the bed Adam slept on nights ago. I could still pick up some of his scent. Cigarettes and cologne; my favourite. I wish he were here right now. I wish I was with him.

I tossed and turned throughout the night, never getting a single minute of sleep. I eventually just gave up and moved to the couch. I sat down then noticed Adam's cigarettes sitting on the arm rest. I picked them up then opened it. All of the cigarettes were broken and smashed, no longer smokable. I closed the pack and noticed writing on the front side of the cardboard.

Quit for Brad.

Those same words were written throughout the entire outside of the pack, which made my heart warm and my stomach flutter with butterflies. I smiled slightly as I held the pack in my hand. He's trying to quit smoking for me.

Around one in the morning, I finally gave up on sleep, said fuck it, and made my way to the hospital. I slowly turned the handle to Adam's door then opened it quietly, I can't wake him up. I shut the door behind me just as quietly as I opened it then-

"Brad...?" I turned and looked back at Adam.

"Uh, h-hey."

"It's a little late to be up, isn't it?"

"I could ask you the same thing, Mr. Gontier."

"Oh wow, the sass is real." I smiled and walked over beside his bed. That's when I noticed the redness in his eyes, and the tear streaks down his cheeks. My heart pinched in my chest and my smile quickly faded.

"You've been crying?" I asked quietly, reaching my hand up to caress his cheek. "What's wrong?" Adam looked away from me then shook his head. 

"N-nothing, it's nothing. I'm fine," I shook my head in dissatisfaction but let it go. He'll tell me when he wants to. "Why are you here so late at night?"

"I couldn't sleep, so I decided it was better to be here with you." Adam nodded and ran his hand through his hair.

"Cuddle with me? Please?" I froze for a second then nodded my head and kicked my shoes off. I climbed into the hospital bed and laid down on my side, my arm sliding around Adam's torso and my head resting on his shoulder.

Adam leaned his head against mine, "Thank you...for everything you've ever done for me."

"You don't need to thank me, Adz. Just be there for me when I need you." I slipped my hand under his shirt and started rubbing my thumb back and forth across his smooth skin. My heart beat heavily in my chest, the butterflies in my stomach intensifying as his body pressed up against my own. I shut my eyes and savoured this moment, unsure if this would become something bigger, something better.

"I'll never leave you. I promise."

--------
wOw okay Bradam is starting to sail and I'm highkey excited. my insides are bubbling with happiness and I love it. this is literally my favourite part about writing because like, relationships can be really cute sometimes (eSPECIALLY BRADAM) and idk it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like, I want that. where is my Brad, I'll be your Adam if you be my Brad