| four |

I stared at my hands as that image of Adam overrode my brain. I couldn't not see it anymore. I wouldn't be able to block it out even if I tried. I couldn't get the image of his blood soaking into the floor to fade away. My hands were still shaking pretty badly, to the point where some of the workers asked if I needed anything to eat or drink. I responded with a no, but of course they ended up bringing me a cup of water and crackers anyway. I took a small sip of the water and my stomach immediately felt queasy. I shook my head and set the cup down by my feet.

I need to see Adam. I need to know he's okay.

I stood up and walked over to the front desk. "C-can I see Adam now? Adam Gontier." My voice was still shaking and I could barely even get words out. It felt weird saying Adam's last name. I think I've only said a handful of times.

"I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to wait a bit longer." I sighed impatiently.

"It's been like three hours, I don't want to wait anymore." The lady gave me a strange look and shook her head.

"It's only been a half hour, sir," she looked at me apologetically, glanced at the clock, then looked at me again, "if you can wait another half hour then I'll let you go in and see him, okay?" I nodded and quietly thanked her. I don't think I've ever felt time go this slow.

My half hour was up and I didn't even have to tell the lady at the desk, she just got up and motioned me to follow her. We walked through the building, turning left and right several times before coming up to what I assume was Adam's room. The lady flashed a gentle smile as she started opening the door for me. My mind suddenly took me back to a time when Adam and I were just little kids.

"Brad, come on! I'll race you there!" Adam took off in a sprint through the woods toward a tree house we found years ago. I smiled and started running after him, I couldn't let him win.

"You little shit! You got a head start!" Just as I was starting to catch up to him I tripped and fell into the dirt. I heard a loud crack then my arm felt like it was on fire. I groaned and called out for Adam. The tree tops above me started spinning then my vision went black.

I woke up in a hospital bed surrounded by balloons, a couple plushies, and Adam. His eyes lit up as soon as he noticed I was awake.

"Brad!" he engulfed me in a sideways sort of hug.

"What happened?" was all I managed to say as he pulled away from me.

"Dude it was so awesome! You tripped over a stick and you went flying through the air like this," Adam made a bunch of hand motions trying to replay what happened, "it was so fucking cool man I wish you could've seen it."

"I tripped over a stick?" I laughed at my clumsiness then I noticed I had a black cast on my arm.

"I got to choose the colour because I told them I was your best friend." I smiled and thanked him.

"You know me too well."

"Your parents were here a little bit ago but I told them that I could stay here with you." Adam smiled brightly and I noticed his cheeks turn a little pink.

I looked around at all the things people brought me. A few get-well cards, some toys that I was probably too old for, and Adam reached down and handed me a stick.

"What the f-"

"It's a piece of what you tripped over. We can't forget this day, Brad."

I focused back on the door in front of me. I took a deep breath as I walked in. I kept my eyes trained on the floor until the nurse left and shut the door. I slowly looked up and my jaw dropped. I could barely handle looking at Adam this way. I walked over and stood beside the bed, staring down at Adam in his unconscious state. You would think it would just be like he was sleeping, but no. Not when he has a tube shoved down his throat to keep him breathing and stitches on the side of his head to keep him from bleeding out everywhere. I felt tears threatening to fall and I did my best to hold them back, but they still fell anyway. I took Adam's hand in mine, kissing each of his fingers. I noticed how cold his hand was and how limp and still his body seemed to be. A giant window illuminated the room, making the white sheets and walls seem even whiter.

"Please don't leave me like this. I need you, Adam, the band needs you," I slipped my fingers through his messy hair. At least they were nice enough to clean all the blood off of him. "You're so much better than this."

I kissed Adam's cheek then pulled a chair up next to the bed to sit down. Even in critical condition he still looked like an angel to me. I sighed and rubbed my thumb back and forth across the back of his hand. He didn't leave me when I was here, I won't leave him.
------

Brad's face=mood
also, I just wanna say thank you for all the reads and votes and comments bc my writing is literally shit compared to some of the writers on Wattpad, especially the other writers in the 3dg/Adam fandom, and like, idk it warms my heart knowing that you all still take the time to read my work. it really means a lot to me (: