In a weak voice, she said, “Promise me. Promise me that you’ll continue to be a savior of children. Promise me that you’ll continue to fight them. Promise me this, so I know that he and everyone else didn’t die in vain.” 

I stared at the child and slowly I nodded my head. I could promise the little girl this. It was such a tiny request, such a tiny promise. With my voice, I replied, “I promise.” 

I squeezed me eyes harder, tighter as the scene of my promise replayed again and again in my head. I failed Chaos, I broke my promise. I didn’t protect the children. I didn’t protect the one who made me promise. I was a failure. A deep and heavy emotion, one of hatred and anger and disappointment and embarrassment and many more, filled my gut, clenched and twisted my stomach. 

I don’t know how long I ran already, but I pushed myself to go farther, even when my legs began to cramp. Sweat poured down my face, my neck. My sweatshirt was complete soaked as well as my tee shirt and socks. My music was so loud I didn’t hear Sunny enter the room. I didn’t notice her either, I was so focused on punishing myself, I almost jumped out of my skin when Sunny unplugged the treadmill. 

I whirled around and came to a halt. Sunny stood in front of me, her auburn curls confined in a tight braid. My eyes drank in her small frame only covered in my tee shirt. The tee shirt barely covered her, coming down a few inches above mid-thigh. She was gorgeous though. My wolf growled his agreement, his approval of Sunny. 

Sunny stared at me with confused eyes, “Tariq, baby, you’re going to seriously hurt yourself if you continue the way you are.” 

I didn’t answer her, my mind was still stuck in the past, watching the young girl, watching Chaos fall apart with her friend in her arms. In that instant I realized I was wrong. I didn’t have as much time as I thought. 

I licked my lips and cleared my throat. “I’ve messed up, Sunny. I’ve messed up real bad.” My voice hitched at the end, cracking loudly with suppressed emotions. 

Sunny’s voice was warm with her southern drawl. “Tariq, honey, what’s wrong?”

I closed the distance between us. Not caring for my state of sweatiness, I dragged Sunny closer to me, so close to me. Each rise and fall of her chest brushed lightly against my chest. “I thought I could be a patient man, Sunny. I thought, since our lives extended years beyond those of a human, I had time. But I was wrong. I ignored everything going on around me, around us. Everything that was real—the reality of life—the awful crimes, the torture, the kidnappings, and the deaths. Dear Lord, I made myself blind.” 

I paused just thinking how stubborn and pigheaded I’ve been. It astounded me. I shook my head and continued explain to Sunny. “I thought I could wait forever for you Sunny.” 

At this comment, Sunny became stiff in my arms. Her eyes clouded over with pain and confusion. She slowly shook her head, as if refuting my words. But I ignored her silent plea to stop. “Hell, we might not have a tomorrow in our world.” 

Tears began to roll down Sunny’s big eyes. I brought my head closer, brought her scent into my nostrils. I could smell her pain and confusion, but I kept explainning. My wolf relished the close contact of Sunny, of my Bulóyi. He rolled around in her scent. “With all the violence and hatred of our world, of our kind, you could be taken from me in a moment. A blink!” My wolf growled in anger, in terror. It would physically kill me if Sunny was taken away from me. If Sunny’s tinkling laughter and southern drawl never filled my home again. If her scent didn’t linger in my room, on my bed, I would go crazy, insane, rogue. 

Sunny’s eyes widened in dawning comprehension. “Baby, I’m not going anywhere—” 

“I can’t wait forever. I need you now. I know you’re scared of the unknown, but trust me. I’ll catch you if you stumble—just like you’ll catch me when I fall. I will protect you, treasure you. I’m your mate, your Bulóyi. I love you. I need you. I want you. Matebond with me tonight.” My wolf growled in pleasure. He barred his teeth in a feral, wolfish smile. “Become my Bulóyi, tie your soul to mine. Allow me to tie my soul to yours. I want you to be mine for now into eternity.”