twenty

❝ Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive 

-Havelock Ellis

"Why are you making me go?" Ellie said as she lay across her bed. Everybody else was rushing about in varying states of readiness.

"Because ever since we've gotten back from Christmas break you've done nothing but lay about and do your homework," Maggie said as she passed by the bed, looking for the heels that would make her look so much taller than her usual short stature.

"And as good friends it is our duty to make sure you get out there and meet a cute boy and get over this stupid break-up," Jane said as she did her make-up. "Now get up and start getting ready."

Ellie groaned, rolling over and pulling a pillow over her face. Jane sighed, getting up and tugging the pillow away from her.

"Hey!" Ellie shouted only to be hit over the head with the same pillow. "Bloody hell. Go away!"

"Not until you are up and ready and at that ball."

Ellie let out another groan, only moving when Tonks and Christy dragged her off the bed.

Several hours later and she was all dolled up, ready to head down to the Great Hall.

"You look so wonderful," Nicole sighed grabbing Ellie's shoulders and twirling her. Ellie gave a half smile at her friend as their two dresses flared up, Ellie's much more than Nicole's. "Did Jane do your make-up?"

Ellie only nodded.

"Okay guys," Jane said sweeping her arms out. "Let's get down there and wow this crowd."

She linked arms with Ellie and Nicole, dragging them out the door and down to the Great Hall. Nicole detached herself when she saw her date and Jane grabbed Devon to replace her.

"Can't believe you actually decided to go dateless Jane," Ellie said as Jane pushed her and Devon front down the stairs. Devon locked eyes with James, quickly looking away and locking eyes with Ian who was grinning up at her. Ellie kept her eyes firmly planted on the ground in front of her, refusing to make eye contact with anyone who might be waiting at the bottom of the stairs.

"Oh, a buffet type of dinner. Do they have anything good?" Jane asked. Maggie dragged James over, pausing only when she noticed Devon was no longer there. "Hey babe, what do you want to eat?"

"Pasta would be really amazing," Maggie said taking the plate Jane was offering her. Ellie took the plate she was offering her from her other hand. None of them had really eaten all day and Ellie had to admit the idea of pasta did seem like the best plan. Quickly she scooped up several spoonfuls onto her plate along with some veggies.

"I think Christy's saving us all seats," Troy said coming up behind Jane.

"Yeah, I told her I'd get her a plate," Davey said and Nicole snorted from Ellie's other side, where she stood with her date.

"You're gonna need more than one plate," she said.

"I told her I'd get her first plate," Davey corrected snatching two plates from Jane's hands. She let out a small yelp and tried to grab them back, but he kept them away as he piled them high, one with mostly meat and one with no meat.

Once they all had food, they started to head to the table that Christy, and now Scottie, were saving. Ellie trailed behind only to stop once she saw who else was at the table.

"Something wrong Ellie?" Tonks asked patting the seat next to her. It was right across from Charlie, who looked up as soon as he heard her name.

"Um, er, no," Ellie muttered. The only other open seat was between Charlie and his friend Andy, so slowly she slid into the seat next to Tonks, with Charlie watching her. As soon she was seated and had looked up though, he had turned his face back down to his food so all she could see was his red hair. It was sticking up everywhere, like he'd been pulling at it all night, and the night had yet to even begin. His left arm had a few scratches and bruises on it.