sixteen

❝ Those who deny the existence of  dragons are often eaten by them

- Ursula K. Le Guin, The Wave in the Mind: Talks & Essays on the writer, the Reader & the imagination

"I can't believe you guys broke-up," Devon muttered slinking down into her seat. Jane squeezed in next to her and shrugged of the light coat she had worn to fend off the nipping fall air. It was getting closer to Halloween and each day brought chiller air and more leaves falling off the trees.

"I can't believe you're still going on about that," Ellie sighed closing her book and running a hand through her hair. "Like seriously, we've been over this several times. What's so hard to understand?"

"You guys were like perfect for each other," Jane said wrapping her hands around one of the cup of Butterbeer that was placed on their table. Ellie rolled her eyes.

"So were Romeo and Juliet and where did that get them? A grave six feet under," she said grabbing a Butterbeer for herself. She sipped it slowly, still chilled to the bone even though she'd been inside much longer than her friends.

"But Romeo and Juliet's romance were not the premise for the story," Devon said sitting up straighter. "The main story was about the two families feuding and what it cost them. If it had been about the 'two star-crossed lovers' then the message would be more about lust than love. At the beginning of the novel, Romeo is in 'love' Rosaline mostly because of her beauty, but when he sees Juliet, who is much more beautiful, he turns his affections to her before he even knows her name. That's great and all, but they didn't know each other very long when they got married. And then they were willing to kill themselves because they couldn't live without the other. Not your greatest play William, not your greatest play."

Jane and Ellie stared at their friend as she made a strangled sort of sound and sunk back into her seat, sipping the hot drink she had in her hands. Then, they turned to each other.

"Should we worry about her?" Jane asked tilting her head towards Devon who was now glaring at the door.

Ellie shook her head and they both followed Devon's line of sight to see Maggie and James holding hands and making their way over to them.

"Bloody hell," Jane muttered watching as Maggie laughed at something and James grinned down at her. "Please tell me I'm dreaming and not actually seeing what I think I'm seeing."

"Well, if you're seeing it as well than it must not be a dream," Ellie muttered glancing over at Devon, who had crossed her arms over her chest and was on the verge of sliding so far down, out of her seat.

Maggie sat down next to Ellie, who scooted over, as James went over and ordered them drinks. Too soon he was back, before any of them could question Maggie alone, wrapping an arm around Maggie as he slid in.

They all pretended they hadn't heard Devon muttering something along the lines of, "so bloody disgusting," and, "I could gouge my eyes out," when James wiped the foam from the Butterbeer off Maggie's mouth for her.

When Maggie let's out a giggle at something James whispers into her ear though, Devon's had it. She slides out of her seat and turns to go.

"Hey, where're you going?"

She probably wouldn't have paused, probably wouldn't have answered if it hadn't been James who had asked the question. Instead, she paused and answered without turning around to face them: "I just remembered I have to pick something up from the store down the street. I'll be back soon."

And then she left.

She never came back and her name wasn't even brought up until James left to use the restroom and Jane leaned across the table.

"So, what's up with you and my brother?"

Maggie pursed her lips before looking around them. Once she's satisfied she beckoned the two of them forward.

"You might hate me for this, Jane."

Jane raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, well obviously James and Devon refuse to admit their undying love for each other," Maggie said slowly. Her friends nodded. "I'm speeding up the process. Attempting to skip the awkward dancing around each other."

"And how is dating one half of the should be couple accomplishing that?"

Maggie rolled her eyes. "By making Devon jealous. Studies show that she'll attempt to make him jealous by dating someone else. And then, hopefully they'll get together."

"So, basically you're using my brother?" Jane asked and Maggie seemed to shrink back.

"Well, when you say it like that, it sounds worse than it actually is," she said drumming her fingers on the table and looking around checking to make sure their was enough witnesses in case Jane decided to try and murder her.

Jane shrugged. "Break his heart if you can."

Ellie and Maggie gave her a surprised look and Jane smirked in response.

"What? He ate the last of the ice cream when I told him not to. And he owes me fifteen Galleons," she said picking at a nail.

"You're ridiculous," Ellie said rolling her eyes.

"Who's ridiculous? My sister?" James said sliding back down next to Maggie, who let out a small giggle and burrowed into his side. " I can confirm this."

"Your mum's ridiculous," Jane shot back at her twin slamming her cup down. Butterbeer spilled over the top and ran down the sides.

"We share the same mum, you numsuckle," he sighed rolling his eyes.

"I refuse to believe that," Jane muttered.

"So," Ellie jumped in, seeing a argument in the works, "are we just gonna sit here all day or are we gonna get some shopping done? Because personally, I'd like, like a million or so chocolate frogs and pumpkin pastries."

"Sure." James slid out and everybody followed suit. They made their way through Hogsmeade. After a while, Ellie and Jane left to go find Devon. They found her, sitting alone, in the Gryffindor common room.

07.28.2016 Did you know that Pandora, 8tracks, and sometimes spotify don't work over here? Yeah, they don't.

In case you are confused, over here is Europe. I am currently sitting on a dorm room bed in Kingston trying to figure out what more I can write in my essay about Doctor Who. It is almost 2am, I leave for home in 6 days, and I currently can't breathe because I have a real bad cold and haven't stopped coughing in like 24 hours. It hurts to breathe. Also, I took cold medicine and my body rejected it completely. Didn't stop puking until it was all out of me, but did not puke out anything I had eaten all day. Also confused because I had taken it earlier that day and had been fine soooooo....?

Anyway, I love London and Scotland and the Eiffel Tower is so beautiful even if half of Paris does smell like pisss, it's just beautiful <3. (In case you're wondering my dream for like forever has been to go to Paris and I actually started crying at the top of the Eiffel Tower because I was so happy (and a bit scared because like, that's really high up).

Two more last things: I want to enter this in the Watty's so I'm gonna try and finish it in the next month.

And

Be on the lookout for some new avengers stories and some actual chapters on 'Princess at Sea'.

Okay that's all.

(Quick! What's your favorite city (whether you've been there or just dreamed of going there). Comment below in the comment section and wish me good luck on my exams <3!!!)