nine

The ultimate challenge of a teacher lies not in the slaying of dragons, but rather in exposing them as beasts no longer to be feared

-Alan Burton, A Wayward Wizard's Wistful Word

"Have you seen Maggie Smith?" Ellie asked a kid sitting in the library. He was in Slytherin, so she could only hope that he would at least know Maggie. When he and his friends shook their heads she started rattling off the names of the rest of her friends, but none of the kids had seen them. She let out a large sigh that blew up the hair that was hanging in her face and walked away towards the back. She kept walking, till she could no longer see or hear the librarian, and that's when she heard a voice.

"Psst. Elisha Ann Wood, psst."

She turned her head and looked down one of the aisles and that is when she felt someone grab her cloak and pull her down the aisle next to it. She tumbled down the dark aisle grabbing at the books to steady herself. When she was finally steady and had straightened up, she saw James and Maggie.

"Um, hey guys," Ellie said straightening out her shirt, "I thought we were studying with Jane and Devon."

"Yeah, well Devon was acting all weird and then she just got up and left," Maggie said looking irritated. She sent a pointed look towards James who did not notice. Not that he was supposed to.

"And Jane?"

"My dumb sister has a date," James said just as irritated and not looking to happy about it. Ellie raised an eyebrow and he pushed some books aside and gestured for her to look through.

Obviously, they had planned this. From the area cleared of books, Ellie could see only two figures sitting at a table across the library. One of them was definitely Jane, with her bright hair, the other was-

"Is that Matthew?" Ellie asked, her nose wrinkling up in disgust. Matthew was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team and he and Jane had gone on a few dates last year. "I thought we all agreed he was a dick? Even she said she didn't think she should go out with him anymore?"

"Yeah, well apparently she doesn't follow her own advice," James muttered sliding down to the floor and slumping over. He continued to mutter to himself as he glared across the aisle at the books.

"Hmm," she said through the bookshelf at them. "Wait. How the bloody hell did I walk past them and not even notice? Merlin!"

"Maybe she's been hypnotized?" Maggie said hopefully, sliding down next to James. "Or under a love spell or potion?"

"I don't think so," James said shaking his head. Ellie shrunk down beside them and Maggie let out a sigh and lay her head on James's shoulder.

"So, we just gonna hide out here all day?" She asked eyeing Maggie's head on James shoulder as his arm went around her shoulders. She knew they were close, being the only two of their gang in the same house, but even this was a little too close. And if Devon ever found out, oh if she ever found out...

Shaking her head, she watched her two friends shrug and let out her own little sigh as she reached into her bag for her note cards and books.

"Well, OWLs are less than a month away," she said shuffling through her note cards. "And I don't know about you two, but I'd like to be prepared."

James let out a sharp laugh. "I think you'll be the most prepared of us all, so there's no need for you to worry."

"What about Devon? She's in Ravenclaw," Ellie said not looking up. She refused to look up.

"She's smart, but you study way too much dearie," James teased. "It cannot be healthy. Perhaps you should study up on that."

She threw her note cards at him.

"Violent one this one is," James said looking up to see someone standing in the 'entrance' to aisle. He smirked. "Your girlfriend's very violent."

Ellie scowled and snatched up her note cards. "I'm leaving you two cause you're being mean."

James stuck his tongue out at her and she stuck hers out in return before standing up and grabbing Charlie's hand with the hand that was trying to keep her stuff from falling out of her bag.

"Better watch out! She might murder you!" James called laughing and Ellie threw her Astronomy textbook at him. Even so, he continued to howl with laughter. She scowled and stomped off and Charlie followed quickly after.

It was not until they were settled on the couches in the Gryffindor common room, with her leaning against him and his arm around her that they spoke again.

"So, what are you doing this summer?" He asked and she didn't answer her attention to focused on her color coded note cards. He grabbed them away from her and held them out of reach. He glanced at them. "How are you still study this? You already know everything about werewolves and vampires and animagus."

"I know, but I want to be prepared," she said reaching up and snatching them back. "Anyway, shouldn't you be studying?"

"I know everything I need to know," he said tapping his head. "And anyway, we still have a few weeks to go. I'll probably do some studying beforehand."

She let out a sigh and continued to shuffle through the cards.

"So, anyway, Elisha. What are you doing this summer?"

"Dunno. Maybe some reading, swimming, other fun summery things?" she said shrugging.

"Well, how would you like to come over to my house this summer?" he asked twirling a piece of her hair around his finger. "You can meet the rest of my family."

"So, there's more redheads like you?" she asked turning to face him.

"Six more to be exact," he said with a grin.

"Mmm." she ran her hands through his hair. The note cards dropped from her hands and into their laps. "Might wanna be careful. With so many redheads, I might fall for one of them instead."

She leaned in and kissed him, her hands continuing to run through his bright red hair. His own hands dropped from her hair to around her waist in an attempt to pull her closer.

"Bloody hell!" Someone shouted and they jumped apart. Looking up, Ellie saw her brother standing there his hands over his face. "I did not need to see that. I think I'm scarred for life."

James was bent over next to him, howling with laughter and holding onto a textbook-her textbook to be exact.

She scowled at the both of them and snatched up her note cards, throwing them as hard as she could at them.

"Bugger off," she said. Oliver removed his hands and James finally stopped laughing long enough to come over and tossed down her book and the few note cards he had caught.

"Perhaps next time you should get a room," he said with a smirk and Oliver, who had been passing by at that moment, pushed him so he stumbled and fell over the short table. He let out a string of choice swear words and grabbed at Oliver's ankle bringing him down next to him.

Now it was Ellie and Charlie's turn to laugh as the two boys lay on the ground groaning and swearing.

05.09.2015 Ugh, so I'm sorta running out of Dragon Quotes :/ Luckily, I'm done with exams and I have made it through my first year of college alive:) Yay! Also, I think it's gonna rain...Probably should close my window.

So...Who's your favorite harry potter character? What's your favorite book?

Kay, bye now!!!