Chapter 4

Emily poked through her closet searching for a suitable dress, a dress that might, for once, not make her look like an old maid. She took two or three out, held them up to her image in the mirror and quickly discarded them. What had ever possessed her to buy such awful styles in the first place? The question was redundant, she knew very well why; it was her mother. Before Emily's mother passed away she felt her life had been stifled and when she was pressed into marriage with Regina's simple son, it became worse.

When he died suddenly from a tumor on the brain, Emily dared hope she might find a measure of freedom but her mother followed shortly after and Emily became responsible for the arthritically ailing Regina who proved to be equally as oppressive as her mother had been.

She took out another dress, one she had purchased for an unattended graduation prom. It was her favourite. Not because it was particularly modern or stylish but because she had bought it by herself in a moment of exhilarating daring. That she never got to wear it was no less a thrill; it represented that tiny moment of rebellion, a clue that deep inside she might just be capable of breaking free.

Emily held the dress up and smiled, the vintage was even perfect. How else do you expect to meet any young gentlemen? Okay Regina, she said to the woman in the mirror, we'll just see if it's possible. This was what she would wear to Millicent's party and to devil with shyness.

Friday arrived bearing the promised weather and Millicent's hired army bustled about the garden preparing for the party. Inside his apartment, listening to the news on the old radio, Stanley made a final pass with the iron over his flannel trousers. The crease was razor sharp. A light touchup of his blazer and he was ready for the evening. He wore the same outfit to every affair altering it only by the choice of shirt and tie.

He hoped the evening wouldn't be too warm for flannel, one year, he recalled, chuckling to himself, he became so hot in his pants he pretended to spill his drink to disguise the perspiration stains beginning around his crotch. Molly had fluttered about like a one-winged moth, attempting to dab his trousers dry and had raised quite a stir among the other guests with her antics.

"I'll leave the window open a bit so you can hear the music, Haggis. Sorry you won't be able to come outside. You know Molly. I don't think she'd appreciate you gnawing on our miserable friend upstairs in the middle of her Garbo tribute. I'll sneak back later and take you for a quick walk." Haggis growled, stood and sat again, tail busily dusting the floor.

******

Alec sealed the envelope on his latest story and wrote the address in marker on the front. He would walk down to the post office in the morning and mail it off. He went to the window and looked down into the garden. The event company employees were busy stringing Chinese lanterns through the tree branches and spot placing tables and chairs around the lawn.

Millicent's iron table and chairs had been shifted a little further back under the large Beeches. A white linen covered table stood within a flower festooned, domed arbour between two massive spruce tees. This would be the canapé table and bar. One thing about Molly, Alec thought, she was no piker when it came to entertaining. Everything was top drawer. He turned back and scratched his chin, sighing. Once again, no date, he chided himself.

He would love to ask Brenda but he suspected, even before Wally's mean slander that she was not totally into men. How he knew, he wasn't sure. It was just a collection of remarks, looks, actions and a dollop of rumour that provided the profile. Still, she would be a great date for a function like this. He gave himself a kick and went down the hall to her apartment, knocking lightly on the door.

"Alec! Hi."

She was wearing sweat pants and a sleeveless t-shirt that read, Guys or Dolls - a No Brainer. "Hi. I- I- I..."

"Is this some kind of serenade?" She covered her erupting laugh with a hand.

Alec closed his eyes and shook his head. "Nah, I was going to ask you to be- to accompany me to the do tonight, but I think it was probably a mistake."

"Why?"

"You're wearing the reason." He said indicating her shirt.

"Oh... hey, don't take it literally, Alec. It certainly isn't personal." She placed a warm hand on his wrist. "Actually, a girlfriend of mine is coming tonight. Darlene Hayes. I'll introduce you." He cocked an eyebrow at her and pulled in his chin. "No, really. Darlene's straight as an arrow. Well, I mean she's not a prude or anything."

"Yeah, okay, that'd be great. See you down there." He gave a weak wave and sauntered back down the hall. He heard her door close just before his own.

******

Regina watched from her window as the workers preparing the garden bustled about industriously. If she were honest with herself she would admit to enjoying the soirées at Garbo Towers. The elegance that Millicent brought to the occasion reminded her of earlier times, times when she was part of a social strata that celebrated its station with garden parties, boat cruises and weekend getaways at elaborate estates.

All that, of course, was before she foolishly allowed herself to be swept off her feet by the dashing Henri Béiche, her deceased husband. When they wed, her family turned their backs and their fortune, leaving Regina isolated with her newly acquired family. Henri revealed much later that he had already been married and had a son who was living on his own somewhere; Henri seemed not to know where.

The marriage began badly and with the birth of their son, Ryan, it crumbled. From the beginning Ryan needed special medical attention and as time passed, Henri matched his distance with the mounting expenses.

She watched as one of the men slipped on the ladder, allowing the string of lanterns to crash to the ground, and continued with interest as the foreman, instead of scolding, placed a hand on the man's back and spoke with apparent concern. How wonderful, she thought, to have such patience and understanding and then she pulled her shoulders back and raised her chin; the very same could be said of her.

She had raised Ryan without assistance from either Henri, who had disappeared, or her own parents and provided as decent a home and upbringing as possible. When his estranged son and apparently not so estranged ex wife contested and won Henri's estate she was devastated,recovering only when she met the Crouse family and their daughter Emily.  Regina immediately seized the opportunity to attach Ryan and her to a modestly wealthy, secure family.

The man successfully fastened the lanterns to the tree branches and climbed down, admiring his job before moving on to the next chore.She nodded with the satisfaction that, like the workman, she had persevered and in the end had seen her own son enjoy at least some of life's advantages and experiences.

And now, with the knowledge of her stepson's whereabouts, perhaps this evening would culminate in exactly the way Regina had imagined for the past number of years. She looked up suddenly, turning toward the bedroom. Emily was humming. What could she possibly be so happy about all of a sudden?