Chapter 1 - Part V

Unlike most of the students who attended Desert Cactus High School, Lilian actually liked school.

It had nothing to do with learning, however, and everything to do with what school represented to her: Freedom. For Lilian, school was the embodiment of freedom. When she was at school, she could do what she wanted, be who she wanted, spend time with her friends, and meet interesting people.

There were also a lot of kinky scenarios that she and Kevin could get up to at school. Unfortunately, she had yet to convince her beloved that mating in the nurse's examination room (and also in the school lockers, the gym, and on Ms. Vis' desk) would be fun. Of course, considering she and Kevin had yet to actually do the deed, perhaps she was asking for too much.

A lot of people would have called her strange. She had learned from Kevin that most teenagers disliked school. Even Kevin considered it an obligation that he could do without.

However, Lilian was not like other people, be they human or kitsune. She was someone who, above everything else, enjoyed the freedom to make her own choices, a person who sought adventure in all its different forms and loved trying new things. That was also why she loved anime, manga, and video games so much.

The first few decades of her life as a supernatural being had been spent within the isolated grounds of her clan's estate in Greece. Those years had been terrible. They'd been boring and lonely and hard. Her only companions had been Kotohime, Iris, her mom and Kirihime. They were nice, and she loved them, but they couldn't give her what she had now.

Kevin had saved her from all of that. Meeting him had been what saved her from that loneliness. He didn't know it. He couldn't possibly understand even if he still possessed his memories of that time, but he had been her salvation, her savior. She would always be grateful to him, even if he didn't remember the reason for her gratitude.

After class ended, she and Kevin parted ways with Lindsay and went to their next class. For the next several hours, Lilian spent time with Kevin in each class. While her mate mostly focused on taking notes and getting his work done, he did converse with her by sending covert messages through a notebook they had decided to share. After French, Physics and Social Sciences, she and Kevin walked across the courtyard toward the newly repaired gymnasium.

"Ne, Kevin?"

"Hm?"

"Is it just me, or is the roof a different color than it was before?"

Kevin looked at her out of the corner of his eye, then at the roof she was talking about.

"I think you might be right," he muttered, his eyes squinting. "It's still the same color, just... less worn, I guess. It looks like they ended up replacing the roof with a brand new one. I'm not surprised. It was probably easier to replace it than repair it after the damage you and Kiara caused."

As her face reddened, Lilian puffed up her cheeks like two balloons. "It wasn't my fault. Kiara's the one who tore a hole in the roof."

"And you're the one who fought her."

Lilian had nothing to say to that.

As they walked, Lilian noticed how they seemed to attract everyone's attention. She didn't know why, but a lot of people appeared to enjoy talking about them.

"Can you believe that someone as hot as Lilian is still dating a kid like Kevin?"

"Not really, no. I thought they would have broken up weeks ago. I wonder what she sees in a scrawny little kid like him."

"I'm just surprised he hasn't passed out yet. Wasn't he supposed to be afraid of girls or something?"

If she weren't in her human form, Lilian's ears would have twitched as she listened in on the many conversations happening around her. She didn't like how these boys were talking about Kevin like he wasn't worth her time or attention. Deciding who was and wasn't worth her affection was a privilege that belonged to her and her alone. These people should've kept their opinions to themselves!