PART 1 | Chapter 1: It All Started With an Oven

It all started with an oven. A big oven.

Theoretically speaking, there is no 'maximum heat' in the Universe. Assuming we have enough at our disposal, we can indefinitely pump energy into any object.

Here's the catch: as the temperature of an object increases, the distance between each emitted wave becomes smaller. And although quantum mechanics doesn't establish a maximum heat, it does establish a minimum length -- the Planck length, beyond which, our understanding of physics loses all meaning.

At the beginning of the 21st century, rudimentary particle accelerators were capable of creating extremely short-lived collisions, reaching temperatures far higher than the surface of our Sun. Ion-Ion collisions produced by the former European Union reached thermal readings of up to several trillion degrees Kelvin. As impressive as that may sound, these collisions still fell very short of the mark.

To put things into perspective:310 K -- the average temperature inside of the human body.5777 K -- the surface of our Sun141 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 K -- Planck Temperature

Over the years, our technological capabilities exponentially improved, especially after the Quantum Revolution of 2014. By the second half of the century, mass-produced graphene and hematite led to the creation of the Solaris Dyson Bubble. With ten thousand solar collectors surrounding the Sun, energy-related restrictions became a thing of the past. Humanity became an interplanetary race.

It was during this time that one Dr Elisa Rutherford decided to construct a facility capable of solving the Planck Temperature mystery. By 2081, the Super Massive Oven was erected in the New Martian Territories, neither of which won awards for their creativity of their names.Several tabloids predicted Armageddon, websites discussed how an anthropomorphic SMO would wear pants, and rival scientists forewarned that a minor miscalculation could destroy the entire Solar System. In all fairness, they were all, in some ways, correct. Except for the pants thing. That was just stupid.

Having the words 'Super Massive' in the name did no favours for the SMO, either. #AntiOven posters littered streets and electronic newsfeeds, and droves of protesters surrounded the facility. Nonetheless, Rutherford and her team remained unperturbed. They proceeded with the preparations, and on a fresh summer morning, July 18th 2083, at precisely 11:42 AM, the Super Massive Oven was first activated.

The world would never be the same again.

Before we could recover from our initial discovery, we were bombarded by the next. In the span of three short years, we went from revelations in the field of physics to changing the fate of the human race, in a chain of unlikely and incredible events, which I was fortunate enough to have been a part of.

I am, of course, talking about the rise and fall of the antiwave, which some of you may still remember as a short-lived news story back in the 2080s. However, the information available to the public is merely the tip of the iceberg. Now I shall plunge into the icy depths, and illuminate the gigantic frozen mountain hidden beneath.

What follows is my unabridged account of the incredible truth. It's been over fifty years, but I feel it is finally time to break the silence.

It's what Rutherford would have wanted.