Chapter 6: What?

Itachi had been pacing outside of the room, walking back and forth, waiting for an explanation, hoping that Naruto was okay. The doctors wouldn't tell him shit and it was getting on his last fucking nerve. His blood was boiling and he had no idea, how much more suspense he could take.

Naruto's parents had arrived at the hospital a couple of hours ago, Kushina had been in tears, with Minato holding her sorrowfully. Fugaku and Mikoto Uchiha had arrived with them, both of them looking sad.

They had asked Itachi what happened, and he explained that it was his fault... Because it was... Right? He told him that Naruto and him had an argument and Itachi chased after him, and Naruto fell down two flights of stairs.

The hospital had that awful smell of sorrow, pain, and death. If any of those had a smell, a hospital was a perfect representation, Itachi shifted his weight, impatient, Kushina had gotten some of the awful coffee, 'I guess, she's that desperate.'

'What the fuck, is taking so long?!' Itachi had gotten more and more restless, by each and every waking second.

Finally, a doctor showed up, with that look they always gave you when they took pity on the friends and family of a hospitalized person. The doctor cleared his throat, "There's good news, and there's bad news," he said looking at the Uzumaki's, Kushina choked up a bit, "What's the good news?" The doctor smiled a bit painfully, probably hating that everyday he had to do this, "Naruto, is alive but...." he trailed off trying to find the words, "But?" Minato looked at him.

"When he fell, he suffered traumatic brain damage, and his spinal cord was severely damaged. He's never going to be able to walk again, we don't know the extent of his brain damage, but we do know that he probably won't be able to talk. His frontal lobe, which is responsible for speech, writing, his personality, behavior, intelligence, problem solving, and body movement, was severely damaged, I'd be surprised if he isn't brain dead." Kushina sobbed, burying her face in Minato's arm.

Itachi, bit back tears, "When will we be able to see him?" The doctor shrugged, and looked apologetic, "Maybe a couple days, weeks, we don't know yet."  Itachi nodded, "You guys should get some sleep, go home, we'll call if anything happens." The doctor said, Kushina nodded and stood up with Minato, Mikoto wrapped an arm around Kushina, trying to take away some of the pain.

"Itachi, are you coming?" Kushina asked him, sorrowfully, "I think, I'll stay here a bit longer." Kushina nodded, and lightly hugged him, she wrapped both of her fragile arms around him, she put her mouth to his ear, "Don't blame yourself, this isn't your fault, none of us blame you, Itachi." she whispered before patting his back gently and releasing him, she smiled a bit at him and he nodded in understanding.

They left, Kushina with both Mikoto and Minato having their arms wrapped around her, and Fukagu had his hands in his pockets walking right next to them. 'Father, isn't a very sympathetic person but he actually seems to be genuinely upset for Minato and Kushina.' Itachi huffed a bit, he sat in the chair, his head in his hands.

Kushina's words ringing through his head on a constant repeat, 'It's not your fault.' 'None of us blame you.' Itachi scoffed, 'But, it is my fault.' 

Six weeks later

Itachi had been visiting Naruto everyday, painfully waiting for the boy's eyes to open and reveal his blue eyes that you could drown in, but Naruto never woke up, 'It's all my fault.'

Itachi was walking through Konaha, he had a date with a girl from his family bloodline, 'What's her name again?' Itachi sighed, shoving his hands through his pockets. He absolutely hated how his mother set up the date without even telling him until last minute. Apparently, he and the girl had been good friends when they were younger, although he had no recollection of having any friends at all, other than Shisui, of course.

He showed up at the restaurant that they were supposed to meet up at, there's was only one girl with the Uchiha family crest on her shirt, so it wasn't exactly hard to spot her. 'Why does it feel like I'm cheating?' Itachi was annoyed by this entire situation, him and Naruto technically weren't dating but, Itachi still couldn't help feel like he was cheating, Itachi knew that even if he had feelings for Naruto, they wouldn't be accepted, especially by his father.

Itachi, walked over to the girl, she smiled at him, she held out her hand and they shook hands, "I'm Uchiha, Izumi." she said smiling, he gave her a light smile back, "Itachi."

They discussed things and she talked about how when they were kids, they used to train and play together, and how she was there to meet Sasuke when he was born. He felt a bit bad that he had no memories about her, but she didn't seem to mind.

She clasped her hands together, "So when is the wedding going to be," Itachi spit his water out, that he was drinking, nearly choking, "Ahem, umm.. What?" Izumi gave him a confused look, "They didn't tell you?" Itachi furrowed his eyebrows, "Tell me what?" She sighed, "You and I are planned to be married within this year."

What?