D Key

The morning light shone through my window, lighting up my pink window curtains. Zonnique lye sleep next to me. She partied so hard last night I would've thought she was turned up more than me. My gaze fixed across the room where my pink teddy bear laid. I haven't asked about my parents! Maybe they're coming back today and I wouldn't even know because I didn't ask! I rushed out of bed but careful enough not wake Nique, and ran down the steps.

"Grandma are my parents coming home today?" I asked knowing she's already up at this time.

"I would've thought she forgot about them..." My grandma mumbled. I ignored her little mumble and asked again.

"Are my parents coming home today?"

"Bahja the answer is the same as it was the last billion times you asked me. Your father is in jail for six more years and your mother is just not coming back." Grandmother Beverley sighed.

"Grandma why don't they want to come back? Am I that bad of a child? Am I ugly? Do they despise me? Can I talk to my mom for once?" I let out.

"Okay you know what Bahja let's call your mom." My grandma snatched the phone off the hook and rapidly clicked on the numbers. After that she pressed call and put the phone on speaker. It beeped two times and then said

"Your call can not be completed as dialed please check the number you've input." My grandmother hung up.

"She gave us the wrong number on purpose Bahja. She doesn't want to talk to us. The day she left you here when you were a baby she gave me that exact number. She told me to call if you ever wanted to talk to her. I've been calling that number for sixteen years." my grandma said.

"Can I talk to my dad?" I asked.

"I don't know about that Bahj..." She said. I nodded my head.

"Go head and get ready for school. Wake Zonnique up too." My grandmother shooed me off. I couldn't wrap my head around why my mom would do such a thing. I creaked open my room door and saw Nique up and clothed.

"I took a shower while you were downstairs." She said awkwardly. I nodded like before and went into the bathroom. For some reason I couldn't talk.

"I also put an outfit out for you, ironed and all." Nique said. Nodding once more, I closed the bathroom door and locked it. I turned on the shower and stripped out of my clothing. I got in the shower and washed up with my honey suave soap and my pure pink wash cloth. After I was done showering I did my after shower routine and brushed my teeth. I put on the smiley crop top, denim washed jeans, and white air force ones. My hair was washed and curly so it went perfect with outfits mood. Too bad I didn't feel like the outfit I was wearing. I unlocked the door and Zonnique sat on the bed but this time she had breakfast. Gritts with cheese, oatmeal, bacon, waffles, apple juice and for her oatmeal, a banana, a cinnamon roll, and orange juice.

"Your grandmother made us breakfast." She pushed the tray over so we could share.

"Beauty are you okay?" Nique grabbed my hand.

"I'm fine." I coaxed her with a smile.

"There goes the word that tells it all." Zonnique sat down her spoon.

"Im serious. Its just that I've been thinking about a lot of stuff." I said.

"Okay...but we gotta get going or we'll miss the bus." Nique finished her food. I ate mine and we took the tray back downstairs. We grabbed our backpacks and headed out the door.

"Bee are you sure that you okay?" She put her hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah Star. I'm good girl stop stressing." I giggled.

"I know it's wrong to eavesdrop but I overheard you talking to your grandma..." Zonnique gripped onto her backpack straps.

"How much did you hear?" I panicked.

"Just a little too much." She said embarrassed.

"Zonnique!" I groaned.

"Bahja your parents love you and I bet you love them too but your grandma is trying to protect you. She's been protecting you for sixteen years. Be appreciative of her." Nique patted my back as we got in the bus.

"I am. I just want to see them for once...the fact that my mom gave my grandmother the wrong number really gets to me." I sighed. It was quiet and I looked over at Zonnique whose attention was all on Rayan Lopez. Should've known.

"Zonnique Jailee Pullins." I clapped my hands in front of her face.

"Oh sorry Bee he's just so fine!" Nique Nique gushed.

"Bleh." I fake gagged.

"Oh shutup. Your man Chresanto is over there." She smirked. I practically stretched over her to see. Sure enough Chresanto August was sitting with Craig Crippen Jr and right across from them was Rayan Lopez and Jacob Perez. Now don't get to thinking they were friends because it was the complete opposite. Chresanto awkwardly waved at me out of no where. Or was it?

"Bahja you were staring so hard he waved at you." Nique giggled.

"I-I was?" I mentally smacked myself. I sat back in my seat

"For seven minutes straight." She said.

"Ugh he probably thinks Im a obsessive girl now." I really smacked myself now.

"Beauty calm down. He doesn't think your an obsessive person because of staring. There's much more to obsessive like cameras, knowing where he lives, living in his house, living in his bushes around his house, calling him blocked, taking his phone, knowing his phone password, knowing how many contacts are in his phone, all of that." Zonnique said.

"Zonnique how do you know all of that?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"My cousins I guess." Zonnique shrugged. The bus stopped at the school and we got off. We made our way into the school and split up to go to our lockers. Nique and I met back up at the middle of the hallway and walked to first period together. Mrs. Reynolds was sitting at her desk as usual. Mrs.Reynolds was a free teacher. By free I mean she was careless and lazy like the rest of us. She was my role model. The bell rung and the rest of the class slugged into the room.

"Today you guys are going to pair up and decide what you want to do in life. Today please keep the volume down." Mrs.Reynolds passed out paper. I automatically looked at Zonnique and she looked back at me. That's just a bestfriend thing. Piano Key E was looking good right about now.