5. The Show Must Go On

I'm super sorry about how late it is, but things are going off and I can't help it, so I suppose you'll all have to deal. Love you!

___________________________________________________________

A week later I stormed into Number Four angrily, slamming the door as I went. 

"A week!" I yelled at Nate, who was sat messing with the sound desk. "That's how long it took for the press to concoct some stupid rumour about a 'love triangle'! I mean, seriously? What is this, some fluffy teen novel?!"

He didn't smile, just flicked a switch before spinning around in his chair. Annoyed by his under-reaction, I threw my magazine at him. It hit his chest before dropping to his lap. Plastered across the front page was a photo taken from over a year ago of me rehearsing with Psychedelic Disadvantage in that awful shed. I think Alicia had taken the snap for William's blog or something stupid like that.

The headline blared: 'Clash of the Rock Bands?' It had made me snort with disgust. Psychedelic Disadvantage were a boy band, not a rock band. And Kick the Crown had the kind of diversity which meant labelling it a rock band, although we did do a lot of rock, was kind of assumptive. 

Nate glanced at the cover. "Do you feel like you're stuck in a - hold on-" He read out of the article, "hopeless, bittersweet competition' for your heart?"

I laughed at his chosen quote. "Don't be an idiot. I'm being serious!"

"So am I!" He grinned. "I mean, William clearly holds your attentions in a way I can never hope to compete with, and the music that band produces is the kind of stuff I'm sure angels sing." He snorted. 

I rolled my eyes. "Nate-"

"If you know that William is a sick creep, then leave it at that. I thought we agreed as a band that we wouldn't let ourselves be too bothered by the press?"

The corner of my mouth twitched. "You're right. It just - it makes me feel sick to think there might be fans of ours that believe that."

He nodded slightly. "Then... its a good job we're seeing them soon, isn't it? So you can set things straight with them?"

"Yeah, it is and I - wait, what?!" His words registered in my mind properly and I dropped my bag in shock. "Seeing them soon as in, we're-"

"-Going back on tour, baby!" He finished, jumping out of his seat.

Squealing in excitement, I launched myself across the room into his arms, laughing as I felt him catch me and spin me round. Wrapping my legs tightly aroudn his waist and tucking my head into the crook of his neck, I enjoyed the sudden rush of adrenaline and the feeling of being weightless. 

He dropped me quickly, and I looked up to see his eyes unfocused and he was breathing hard. "Nate?" I said, suddenyl feeling a rush of terror. "What's- Are you OK?"

He exhaled deeply, supporting himself against the sound desk. "Yeah, Ly. I'm fine. Just - Still not one hundred percent after that crash, you know?"

Biting my lip, I felt a sudden swoop of hot guilt and panic. "Do you need anything - I can help, I can fetch you-"

"Shut up. I'm fine." He said, shortly. I watched him seemingly seize control of the pain and sighed in relief when the colour seeped back into his face. "Could you get me some painkillers from my case?" He asked reluctantly. 

I skipped into the booth, eager to help at the first chance. I knew I was trying to make up for abandoning him before, and I knew that it was useless- I could never get him to fully forgive me for that, but I wouldn't stop trying. He hated asking for help or assistance in any way, hated the idea of him being weak. I just hoped he knew his limits.