Chapter Two

Updated and Edited 16/06/12.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chapter Two

I found that sitting in my English class, a class I usually enjoyed and excelled at, I couldn't stop my mind from wondering. Well, mostly my imagination. The thing about growing up reading as many books as I did, it gave me a bit of a daydreaming complex, although my dad would call it an over-active imagination. And sometimes I couldn't help but agree; most especially when it came to adventure stories. I was the type of person that, if I heard words like 'harbour' and 'sea', it would get my imagination going and it would inevitably cause me to daydream about some pirate ship sailing the wide, everlasting ocean, in search for contraband and danger.

This was happening now. But instead of the sea, it was the moors I was daydreaming about. We had moved onto a new book in class. We were reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Just reading some of the passages got my mind working in fast gear. I could picture the scenes as though I was there, witnessing the characters act out their parts as was penned for them. I could hear the words as though whispered in my ear. I found I loved this story immensely. Although I never usually read romance books, the words were so passionate and soulful; they could almost cut you, if they were spoken to you.

I was awoken from my reverie by Miss. Barker telling us our homework assignment. As I looked up to the board to see what she was writing, I caught someone looking at me from the corner of my eye. I turned my head to see who it was and was faced with a smiling Joe Winchester. He obviously didn't get the hint last week. I looked back at my desk, not wanting to encourage him and wrote down the assignment.

Not long after, the bell rang, signalling for the next class to begin. I gathered my things into my bag and made my way over to the science lab. It was only fourth period and I couldn't wait for lunch to be over, so that I could make my way over to the bleachers. I didn't know why, but it no longer bothered me that someone else had been there. If anything, I was excited. Did the mystery person leave another treasure?

As I sat down at my lab table, which was in the middle of the room, I noticed that equipment had been set up on each of the desks. There were also some notes on the board, which the teacher had told us to copy down. Fifteen minutes later, he told us to take out our practical booklets which he had given to us at the start of term and turn to page eleven, where the directions for the experiment was written.

As I was reading them, I heard someone put their books down on the lab table next to me. I looked up and saw a guy I hadn't talked to in some time stand there, smiling at me.

“Hey Viola, um, Mr. Robbins said I should work with you because neither of us have partners.”

“Sure, that's fine Trey,” I smiled. He smiled back at me and sat down. I shifted my practical booklet towards him.

“Thanks, I had no idea we were going to do a practical so I completely forgot mine at home.”

“That's okay. I think Mr. Robbins just likes to spring them on us for his own amusement.” We both smiled at this and got on with the experiment amicably. We completed the work quickly, all the while talking about a few things. Family mostly. This was because Trey and I used to hang out as little kids. That was of course, until we began to grow up and take interests in different things. My interests lay with books, obviously, and Trey's went with, well, I didn't really know. We hardly ever talked in school. It wasn't that we ignored each other, we just moved in different circles. If we passed each other, we would smile, probably remembering the young care free days of our childhood. And our families still interacted with each other. Our mother's would talk about whatever mother's talk about and our dad's would talk about work and stuff. Even Toby was friends with Trey's younger brother, Daniel, who was also six years old.