Chapter 28

~ 24 hours earlier ~

"Ok I know I probably should have said something to you earlier but- I've been so nervous and- and checking every singlejewellery shop and finally found the best one. Maybe I am a little late, with only one day left but you know that your opinion matters to me so-" Sam extended his hands with a bright grin "-here we are!"

"I see." Dean raised an eyebrow, already not being able to help the uneasy feeling at the pit of his stomach.

"Yeah come on, let me show you what I have decided on." Sam patted him on the shoulder, already walking in and Mary happily followed him too. Dean however took a moment to steady his breathing and his rapidly beating heart.

Your and Sam's seven month anniversary was tomorrow, he could understand that Sam wanted to get you a beautiful gift that would show you how much you meant to him. The fact that he had booked an entire restaurant for just the two of made Dean understand that he wanted this anniversary to be special for the two of you.

He shook his head and plastering a – well, obviously – fake smile on his face he walked in "So what Sammy, decided on some fancy shiny and sparkly necklace or something?" he joked, walking around and picking on things like he usually did.

"Daddy no!" the little blonde girl scolded "You are going to break something!" she playfully hit on his hand and Dean laughed loudly, bending down to pick her up.

"Well look at you- already turning into (Y/n) aren't ya?" he laughed, looking at his daughter full of love and adoration at how much she was like you. And it came only naturally, even if you had no blood relation.

She giggled "Mama is cool!" she said with a big grin that made Dean laugh even more.

"Sure she is." he whispered, feeling his heart swell at the little word. Maybe he could never admit it out loud but he loved how she still called you 'mom' or 'mommy' or 'mama'. Even if he had told her not to, he knew he didn't mean it. It was just because Lisa was present at that moment.

Lisa. Seven months in and they were still together. He would put on a smile in front of her and everybody else but not when he was alone. He couldn't pretend there.

"Here, come here!" Sam motioned for him to walk over "This- this is the one I like."

"...Well that's a strange kind of choice." Dean breathed out a chuckle that died off soon, and he cleared his throat.

His eyes did go wide for a second and his breath hitched on his throat once he saw it. He could already picture the dreaded scene play in front of his eyes. No. He shook his head, this was just another gift for your anniversary. Sam was a really romantic guy so it shouldn't surprise him all that much.

"It's so pretty!" Mary said with a childlike laugh taking the... ring as Sam gave it to her.

"So do you think she will like it?" Sam looked full of hope at his brother as the little girl stared with wide eyes and a stunned face at the silver, simple, diamond ring.

"I- I well- you know it's-" Dean made a face, puffing his cheeks. He let out a trembling breath, clearing his throat "Yeah man it's great but- you know-" he laughed trying to lighten the mood and joke the fears that started to creep up inside him "-only if you would be like-" he laughed nervously again "-if you were trying to-"

"Propose to her?" Sam suggested, cutting him off. He chuckled nervously "Yeah, yeah that's what I am trying to do."

And at that moment, at those words, those simple words, Dean felt his entire world stop. Everything stopped moving and for a second he thought his heart stopped beating and he too breathing.