Chapter 7

You watched as the scenery passed by in a blur of greens and occasionally yellows and oranges. Be it any other occasion you would feel calm and it would only manage to make you relax even more. Especially with Dean being the one sitting next to you. You'd occasionally glance at him and you could really not help a small smile from being on your lips. It wasn't often that you got to see that genuine bright smile on his face with all the worries he had and actually seeing it meant a lot to you. He looked so carefree, as if he had no worries in the world, and at the same time so young. You would have loved to know him when he was younger so much. But even now you could not complain. He had the heart of a five-year-old.

When he caught your eyes on him he'd turn his head to look at you and the smile would immediately turn into a smirk as he threw you a wink. The only thing you did was roll your eyes at him and turn your head the other way so that he would not notice the blush or smile that was on your lips. He would chuckle at you, extending one hand over your shoulders and making you lean in so that he would place a kiss on the side of your head.

"Eyes on road Winchester" you'd say, taking off his hand over your shoulders and making him focus on the road more than you.

Although, truth be told, you didn't want it. You loved it when he showed you all this attention, it made you feel special and for a moment you forgot that you were only friends. It was sad but it was the truth. Even if the gesture was just a simple way for him to show to you how he felt, you knew it was strictly friendly. It was how Dean acted, you should just get used to it. You actually would not help the butterflies that danced like crazy in your stomach but you only tried to push the feelings away. Dean and you were only friends. He saw you as only a friend but nothing more. You just should not let your feelings get in the way.

Dean would just shake his head at you, mumbling something under his breath and turning the volume of the music higher. AC/DC was blasting through the speakers and you caught yourself letting a small giggle as he played drums on the steering wheel.

'Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole' he had told you the first time you had gotten into his car and rode with him. He did pick the music. Always. Unless of course Mary was in the car. Just a small 'please' from her in combination with puppy eyes that, as Dean had told you, were the outcome of her time with her uncle, Dean's brother, Sam and Dean would go all mushy and do whatever she wanted. And in that case was her picking the music. Just like this time. Yes, she was the one that had picked AC/DC. Not him. Well, the first time that was a surprise but what could you do? She was the daughter of the one and only Dean Winchester. You could not expect less.

As soon as you were sure Dean was not looking at you though, all attention on playing drums and singing with the company of Mary in the backseat (although she mostly mumbled what she thought the lyrics said), you went back to sneaking glances at him. You felt a warm feeling spread all over you, and it was not attributed to the sun that shone over the car as you rode. No it certainly was not that. You felt your heart beat in that weird way of its, inside your chest and you instantly knew what it was. You allowed yourself to smile as you looked between Dean and Mary as they both oh so happily jammed to the classic rock music, a rather proud smile on Dean's face that made you feel even more warm on the inside.

All of this brought back memories of when you three would ride to some trip either on the woods or by the beach a little further away. These exact smiles would be every time on their faces. Sometimes you played hard to get, that you were not in the mood for a trip but truth was that you looked forwards to them every second weekend. The unexpected ones where just as much welcomed as Dean would just come over, ring your bell and tell you that he and Mary were going to a theme park that had opened nearby and needed more company. Sometimes you wanted him to plead a little for you but just after a few seconds you would give in. Because truth be told it just made you feel as if you were a family. A happy one at that, a loving one that went on trips to spend some more time together.