Drabble 2: "Hotel Key Card"

==

==

Genre: Angst
Posted on Twitter, Aug 23

"Gising na," she commanded, her tone brusque and cold. "Taping na."
He opened his eyes. She was in a plain white dress, her face fully made-up and mask-like, her eyes set like flint to steel.
Alden drew out a long exhale and clenched his jaw. No more fighting, he promised himself. At least no fighting here, where too many people could see.
"Ano yan?" she asked, looking at his clasped hand.
"Nilinis ko kwarto ko and...nahanap ko sa cabinet ko." He held it out and dropped it unceremoniously onto her open palm.
Her eyes narrow into slits. "P*tang ina. We're dealing with THIS and you want me to keep a goddamn hotel key?"
"I'm just taking out everything that reminds me of you. So ayan. You can have that."
"I don't want it."
"Eh di itapon mo," he shot back, a little louder than he expected. He cleared his throat. "Shit. I'm sorry, Meng. I'm so sorry."
She rolls her eyes and grudgingly drops the blue keycard into her clutch.
"Meng..."
"Tara," she cut in a sharp tone. She hoped the traitorous tear that rolled down her cheek didn't smudge her eyeliner or foundation.
"Meng, come on," he pleaded, reaching a tentative hand toward her elbow.
"Alden, let it go. Let's just admit everything and hope this dies down in six months."
"Meng, sh*t, come on. Last time mo ako kinausap was what? Three months ago?"
"You know the script, Alden. Just admit it. Obvious naman eh. No point in pretending otherwise."
"Don't be like this, Meng."
She bit down on her lip and shut her eyes, gripping her clutch. "I wish we could all take it back," she began. "I should've known better. I should've known that people would do anything to spy on us. But this...I don't know how to do this, Alden."
"I'm not leaving you, Meng. If you only let me. We could face it together," he urged, his arm now gripping her elbow.
She shook her head sadly and gazed at him with eyes full of sadness. "I'm done, Alden. So are you. My endorsements have rescinded. Your contracts are just waiting to expire."
"Come on, Meng."
"When this is done, I don't ever want to see or talk to you again. I need to do things alone."
"Saan ka pupunta?"
"New York? I don't know. I just....need space. Ikaw rin."
"When this is over, Meng, baka naman...."
"We ARE over, Alden," she shot back, her tone laced with finality.

Just then, a young-looking PA popped in. "Ma'am, onstage na po kayo."
Maine straightened her back and strode ahead of Alden. He followed behind her, swallowing hard as he heard the voiceover narrate the explosive gossip story for the Sunday afternoon: "Ang pinakamalaking isyu sa showbiz ngayong taon! Maine Mendoza and Alden Richards -- sila nga ba ang nasa sex scandal na ito? Sasagutin ito LIVE! Dito lang sa Showbiz Central!"