"The Ring"

*Also posted on Twitter, June 3

While people pack up, Maine glances at her phone to see that she's missed several calls from Alden

While people pack up, Maine glances at her phone to see that she's missed several calls from Alden. Lagot ako, she thinks, as she calls him back.
RJ picks up the phone after barely a ring.
"Meng! Kala ko ba di tayo pahalata?" His voice sounds worried.
She rolls her eyes and smiles. "Wag na pabebe, hon. Eh totoo naman diba? We talked about it. Two years, and then...yun. Halatang-halata na tayo eh."
"People are talking about the ring," he points out. "Do you think they know?"
"Let them think what they want, hon. The important thing is it's OK na with Tatay."
"I really hope so, Meng. I really do." He pauses as he clears his throat. "Anyway, I need to show you something later. Samahan mo ako, please. "
"Is this the one in Bulacan ba? OK, sunduin mo nalang ako dito para sabay tayo."
"OK, good, good. I'm sorry, hon. It's just...I just want to keep it to ourselves until we sort it all out, you know. I'm still worried about him."
"Don't worry, hon. Nanay talked to him and he came around. Love ka naman 'nun, but he really just wants it done properly, you know."
"I know, hon," he replies in a serious tone. "That's why I need to you to come with me later. I'm hoping Tatay will approve of this one. It's really beautiful."
"I'm sure he will, RJ," she assures as she thumbs the slim diamond band on her finger.
"By the way, Meng, salamat ha."
"For what?"
"For being crazy enough to marry me in Italy two weeks ago."
She blushes furiously at the memory of that day at the magistrate, with only a few close friends and her mother as witnesses. It had been the most perfect day.
"Pasensya na if it wasn't what your family wanted," he continues, his voice barely concealing his sadness. "I know they wanted a big church wedding and all, but..."
"But we couldn't help ourselves?" She broke into a laugh. "That's alright hon, smile ka na. We'll have that in two years. Sige na, we'll go and see the church later, OK?"
"Sige. Hatid na rin kita sa bahay mo afterwards."
"Wag ka na pabebe, hon. Doon ka na rin matulog tonight, ok?
"Are you sure?"
"Ano ka ba? Ready na ang room natin, hon. Ahem, ahem."
He burst out laughing.
"As you wish, Mrs Faulkerson."