"Ate Virgie"

Thank you for making QuickFics #3 on Fanfiction! This one's for you and for all the kasambahays we love.

It's 2 in the morning and she is boiling water and steeping a teabag. RJ will be home anytime now, and he will be needing his usual cup. He still works too hard, she thinks, but that's always been the way he is. No matter, come fever or high water, the boy will go the distance for his family, and he won't slow down now. Especially not these days.
She hears his car pull up in the driveway. In seconds, the kitchen door opens.
"Ate Virj..." he croaks in a tired voice.
"Oh, eto na kalamansi mo," she says, serving the steaming cup to him on the granite counter.
He takes a sip and closes his eyes. He looks as if he just wrestled with the world and lost.
"Ano oras pasok mo bukas, 'Nak?" she asks.
"8 am. Alis ako dito mga seven siguro, Te."
"Ito ba yung sa Zambales?"
RJ exhales and nods slowly, his eyes red-rimmed and spent.
"Grabe naman ang schedule ng teleserye na iyan," she remarks. "Di bale, naka-empake na lahat. Yung mga jacket mo, hinanger ko."
He stands up and gives his favorite kasambahay a tight bear hug. "Salamat Te Virj. Di ko alam kung paano kami pag wala ka dito."
"Sus!" she chuckles. "Sige, akyat ka na. Tulog na si Meng. Nasa nursery siya, kasama si Charmaine. Tagal nilang naglaro kanina eh."
"Sige po. Pasensya ka na, ha. Pero next week, maaga na ako uuwi. Matatapos na rin yung shooting at wala na akong mga event sa August."
"Dapat lang," Virgie warns him with a hand on her hip. "Two weeks nalang at may bagong baby na naman dito sa bahay. Wag ka nang magpakalayo."
RJ drinks the last drop of his tea and grins. "Ready ka na para kay baby Charles, Ate?"
"Sus, Ricardo. What's one more?"
"Naks, English, ha."
"Batovkorz!" she insists with a laugh, and RJ reaches out to hug her again.
She's already loved and raised so many children, she thinks. But there's always room for one more to love.
Always.