Chapter One

Castiel sat behind the old desk in his dad's book store, heavenly reads, his head angled down to stare at a blank piece of paper that was rested against the dark oak.

As a writer there was nothing cas hated more than a blank space, it felt mocking, like there was so much space for creativity and poetry to be spilled across the space yet all cas could do was stare. Stare down at this mocking piece of paper and wonder why the hell he ever thought he could write.

His father, chuck. Was an author and castiel loved his work. So when Castiel finally plucked up the courage to tell him what he planned to do with his life chuck was over the moon. But then it just felt like castiel had to please him and deep down he felt he could never do that.

Castiel was torn away from his thoughts when he heard the soft melody of the bell ringing above the entrance door. He dropped the pen that was rested comfortably between his fingers and closed his book.

Two boys had just entered the shop, both dressed in comfortably worn down jeans, old shirts and even more worn down jackets; one a deep green and the other leather. They looked like they belonged, cas thought, in between rows of aging leather cases and faded words; they seemed at home.

Cas shook his head, he should stop trying to figure people's lives and focus on fixing his own. Still he couldn't help but listen in on the two boys conversation as they made their way down an isle, the sounds of their heavy footsteps floating around the store like the beat of a drum, their soft voices a melody.

"Alright Sammy, bobby said we're looking for some books on the Greeks okay? He thinks the info we need should be in at least one. So get looking" the taller, older looking boy told the smaller boy, his voice was rough but ran smooth like the engine of a motorbike.

"yeah I know dean, I'm not deaf" Sammy sassed back skulking off, heading over to the Greek section.

"Whatever Sammy, thinking you're so smart" the older boy muttered, head held high, his face emitting confidence as he  headed towards the Egyptian section.

Oh no, cas giggled to himself.

As the two boys searched for their books cas tried to work out their relation, he assumed they were brothers.

Sam and dean.

It did have a nice ring to it after all. Oddly it felt natural to say, even if he wasn't speaking out loud. The names felt right. Maybe he had read a book with those names in and forgot.

He got pulled out of his thoughts by the boy in the leather jacket -dean- quietly whistling to him. Cas turned to look at him, smiling when he saw dean let out a breath, his eyes travel over the material of cas' jacket and then back up to his eyes, he grinned again. 'come here ' he signalled and cas found himself just walking, his feet moving one before the other without his command.

The nearer he got the bigger dean seemed to be smiling, castiel was now close enough that the sleeves of deans jacket kept brushing against him, he was close enough to see the spatter of freckles across deans face; close enough to smell him. It was a smell of leather and spices laced together with Whisper's of petrol.

It was a strange scent but cas liked it, it was rugged and it suited dean, it suited the gentle stubble that covered the boys jaw and cheeks, the slight chaos to his short sandy hair, the worn out leather jacket.

"How can I help you?" Castiel asked pulling himself out of his trance. He often found himself slipping in an out of reality, writers brain, his father used to call it. Said that cas had a unique was of seeing things, of observing and that the transition of the person standing before him to the way cas described them in his mind, was beautiful, complex and needed time.