Dante: Ambush

AMBUSH:

A heavy hiker's pack full to bursting is tied behind the saddle of the horse. Several smaller bags swing from it, along with a dented pan. The load is no detriment to the horse and we're making good time considering the overgrown terrain I am carefully picking our way through. I am on foot, searching out a path with the horse following along behind me. It's better to travel on foot and lead the horse to keep him from being injured on the uneven terrain. The overgrown weeds hide dips and holes that could injure an ankle, or worse if stepped in. The moon and stars are hidden behind heavy cloud cover tonight, so I must rely on my preternatural senses in the dark.

As we move along across the rough landscape my princess is mostly content. As long I keep her wrapped against me she remains quiet, except for when a need arises such as hunger or a wet diaper. It works to my advantage if we stop at regular intervals so I can take care of her basic needs. The challenge comes when I need rest, which is much less often for me than either human or hybrid. My princess doesn't want to be separate from me. As soon she loses contact with my warmth she cries, and the crying continues until she is gathered against me once more. My concern is that I could accidentally smother her if I fall asleep and roll over. When it's time to rest I end up lying awkwardly on my back with her on my chest. Luckily I only need sleep in short intervals.

As we travel south and east for close to a week, the weather changes drastically, becoming hotter and wetter. The sun is closer to the earth here, and there is little protection from its rays during daylight hours. Our progress is painfully slow. In general I keep our distance from other travelers. I can smell and hear them from a distance, and use this to keep us hidden. Any conversation I've eavesdropped on so far has convinced me I'm making the right choice. We pass several afflicted with the zombie virus wandering the wilds together as a pack. They are feral, searching for food and fighting among one another.

Two other groups of travelers pass by us. We are deep in a forest of pine trees, and the needles carpet the ground, helping to mute my footsteps. I tie the horse to a tree and offer him a small pile of oats to nibble in order to keep him quiet. I creep closer to the pathway, staying hidden as I carefully observe first one group, and then the other. Sven may have bound my wings, but I still have my abilities. I blend into the shadows to remain unseen by human eyes. Both groups contain only adults. The first group is comprised of solely men similar to the thugs at the outpost who wanted my horse. They are rough, unshaven, unwashed. Body odor and the scent of stale alcohol wafts from them.

The second group is slightly less offensive and has just one woman among them. For a woman she is very tall, and also very thin, with cherry red hair. Listening in to their conversation I get the impression she is in charge of the men. There is something not right in her aura so she holds my attention for a few extra seconds. An aura of power pulses around her, but its very dark. An essence of danger flickers through her aura as well. I conclude the woman is no human, but trying to disguise herself as one. Unease sifts through me. There is nothing here for my princess, it's time to move on.

As I turn to leave the woman's head suddenly whips in my direction. Her head cants to one side while her nostrils flare and her eyes narrow. My camouflage hasn't masked me from her, which only reinforces my suspicions about her. With a blur of movement she is suddenly in front of me, circling around me as she sizes me up. Her companions clumsily and noisily rush over to join her, but she holds her hand up to the side, palm open, gesturing them back. This close I can see her skin is smooth and flawless, glowing palely in the moonlight. Amber eyes not unlike my own assess me sharply.

"What do we have here," she virtually crows in delight. "Little angel boy with a bundle of infant. How intriguing!" Her laughter is like tinkling bells.

The men fan out around her, staying a few paces back. I can't help but call to mind my experience over the horse. Here I go again, but with more menace.

The woman has seen right past the shadow glamour to recognize what I truly am, and in doing so has exposed herself, not that she seems to care if I realize what she is.

"Here you are, wandering around all by your lonesome," she pouts with bright red lips, and her eyes glow with interest. "Are those purple eyes I see blinking up at you?"

No hiding my princess either apparently. I remain quiet for now, taking careful measure of my situation. I am not concerned with being able to fight my way out. As a warrior, my fighting skills are superior to other ranks of angels, and the odds of five on one mean little to me, especially when the five are....human? Red rimmed eyes, gray flesh and jagged teeth suggest these men are affected by the zombie virus. The rank body odors make more sense. Unlike most others who are infected, they seem to have a measure of self control, focus and the ability to work together under strong leadership.

Red watches me as I observe the small group, a look of hungry interest on her face as she attempts to read my reaction.

"My soldiers are quite something, aren't they?" she prompts, hoping for a response from me.

Actually, they are, but I refuse to give her any sort of reaction. As she stares at me, a smile slowly begins and works its way to widen across her face. Apparently I am a source of entertainment for her, which I recognize is to my advantage. My curiosity about this group has ignited, so I am in no longer in a hurry to move along. There are questions to be answered. Sven will want to know about this anomaly wandering the wilds. The longer I linger and engage, the more information I can accumulate. Unfortunately, the red haired mystery woman seems to have the same goal in mind.

My princess squirms restlessly against me, picking up on the emotions clogging the air around us. Her gaze is far too intelligent and aware for her few days of life.

"Such a beautiful child, so full of promise," the woman's smile is wide and wicked, allowing fangs to peek through.

She reaches for my princess and a sudden blast of energy takes us all by surprise, throwing us back in opposite directions. The woman picks herself up off the ground, her eyes wide.

"Was that the baby?" she exclaims, creeping towards us once again.

From a distance I hear another group approaching, drawn by the commotion here. We need to escape. If I had my wings I'd take to the skies, but instead, Sven's command has trapped me.

The woman raises her hands to send a power blast of her own in my direction. I angle my body, attempting to shield my princess, and everything goes dark.