Chapter 20: Ready

2 weeks.

I wander aimlessly around this store, and sigh. I have no idea why I came here. "Ma'am, do you need help?" A woman asks me. I shake my head. "No, thank you." I say and she nods, walking away. I continue to wander around the store, until I finally find the baby stuff. As I begin to look through the assortment of things I should probably get, my phone rings. The woman standing next to me stares at me, an annoyed look on her face. I put it up to my ear, and walk away from the aisle, not wanting to annoy her anymore.

"Hello?" I say. I have broken my habit of answering with my name, as I have not been answering any calls from work in the past three months. "Hey, Kate. Where are you?" Lanie asks me and I shrug. "I'm in Target," I say, looking around. "I was trying to get the last of my baby shopping done now, so I don't have to do it later." She pauses for a moment. "Alone?" She asks and I nod. "Castle is helping Alexis with the last of her requirements until she can move in to her dorm, and I wanted to get out of the house. "

"Well," She says, sounding distracted. "Good luck. I'm sorry, I wish I could be there with you. But, I have to get going. My plane leaves in five minutes, and the flight attendant has given me a look at least twice to put my phone on airplane mode." I smile at her, and nod. "I will let you go, then. Text me when you land," I say and she assures me she will. I hang up, and let go of the cart, resting my free hand on my stomach as my baby kicks inside me. The annoyed woman from before still stands there, and watches me walk back to the spot I was previously looking in. When I look back at the woman again, she still stares.

"I'm sorry, can I help you?" I say to her and she eyes me once more before she speaks. "You put my husband in jail," She says and I study her. I don't remember her at all. "You don't even remember me. Typical self- obsessed cop." She says, but I still say nothing. The woman has shocked me into muteness, and even if I did want to say something, I couldn't.

She huffs and turns on her heels sharply, walking away as fast as a pregnant woman can. I narrow my brow. If I don't remember this woman, it must've been a long time ago that I put him in jail. How is she pregnant?

I decide to let it go, and quickly grab the necessities: A package of burp cloths, diapers, and pacifiers. When I decide I have enough to get me by for at least the first couple of days, I make my way quickly to the front, wanting to get out of this store.

The cashier smiles at me. "How far along are you?" She asks patiently. "Thirty eight weeks," I say wearily and she smiles. She tries to make small talk as she rings up my items, but I am out of it and just smile when she comments about her own pregnancy, and how she recalls how excited she was, constantly. I grab my bag and she watches me. "Have a good day, and good luck!" She exclaims and I smile and thank her. Once she has moved on to the next customer, I dart out of the store and make my way to Castle's loft as quickly as possible. 

I insert my key into the lock of the door and open it swiftly. On the ground everywhere are boxes and boxes of my things. "Katherine!" Martha's voice says and moments later, she walks in front of a pile of boxes taller than me. I smile wearily. "Hi, Martha." I say and set the bags down, making my way to the fridge to pour myself a glass of water. "What were you up to?" She asks and I shrug. "Getting last- minute baby supplies, so I don't have to worry about it later." I say, and pull the items out of the bag. She smiles when she sees the different things and then follows me to August's nursery.

I put the diapers underneath the changing table, and set the burp cloths on top of his dresser, which only comes up to about my hips. Finally, I rip the pacifiers out of their packaging and then put them on the side table, next to his rocking chair.

Martha stares at the nursery, and smiles. "It's going to be wonderful to have a baby around," She says, though she seems somber. "I will have to come and visit you guys often." My eyes widen. "What?" I ask and she looks at me, astonished. "He didn't tell you?" She asks and I shake  my head. "We've been busy," I say and she shrugs.

"Oh, well," She says. "Yes, I am moving into my own home. It is about fifteen minutes away, and I just signed the lease. I move in a week." I nod, and smile. This is wonderful! Castle and I will finally have the loft to ourselves.

Suddenly, the front door opens and Castle's voice echos throughout the place. "Kate? Mother?" I walk out of the nursery and smile at him. "Hi," I say and Martha looks to both of us. "Well," She says. "Since most of my things are at my new place, I really should get going." She gives me a loose hug, pecks Castle on the cheek, and walks out, not looking behind her at all.

"What was that about?" He asks and I shrug. "She told me she was moving," I say and his eyes widen. "Did I forget to tell you?" He asks, though he doesn't seem to want an answer. "I'm sorry, Kate." He says and I shake my head. I don't really mind that he forgot, as long as I got the information somehow. His face suddenly contorts in pain and I narrow my brow. "What?" I ask and then realize he is holding about five grocery bags.

He sets them down on the counter, and I watch as he empties them. In one bag, holds two cartons of eggs. In another bag, an assortment of fruits and vegetables, and in a third bag, a half gallon of milk and an 8-pack of pop. In the two other bags, he pulld out more things for the baby. "I realized we have no wipes or desatin," He says, and grabs the other bag. "And I thought he needs a blanket." He pulls a blanket out, and I gasp. It is a light yellow color, and soft to the touch. I smile and take it in my arms. "It's perfect, Castle." I say and he smiles, taking the other things he bought into his arms. He starts walking toward the nursery, and I follow.

I set the blanket on the side of the infant's crib, and Castle puts the wipes and desatin next to the diapers I just bought. "Now," He says, pulling me close to him. "I have to go pack my bag." I nod, and follow him down to our bedroom. "How long are you and Alexis going to be gone?" I ask him and he shrugs. "We will be back before dinner tomorrow." He says and I nod. He is going with Alexis to her dorm to help her set it up for the new semester. "You can still come," He says softly and aI shake my head. "I hate long car rides, and I am too tired to help. I would just be a burden. He nods and I kiss him on the cheek and he smiles.

"I will have my phone with me at all times," He says. "Call me if anything happens." I nod, and sit on the bed. I watch him as he packs a change of clothes and a pair of p.j. pants. Suddenly, his phone rings. He puts it up to his ear, and looks around the room. "Yes, I have everything. Okay. I will be down in a second," He says and then seconds later adds, "I love you too." And hangs up. "Alexis is waiting," He says and I nod, giving him a hug. "I will see you tomorrow. I love you," I say and he smiles, pulling me in for a short kiss. He tastes like he ususally does, like mint and Rick. I pull away.

"You have to go," I say and he nods, "Be careful," He says, as if I were going to go sky diving or skiing. "I will be fine," I say and he grabs is bag, pecks me on the cheek, and leaves.

Once the door is shut, I make my way carefully over to the couch and fall backward onto it. I check the time on my father's watch. 6 p.m. Though it is dinner time, I am not hungry, and I decide to take my favorite book, Heat Wave, out and read it. I turn the television on, though I don't intend to watch it. I need some sort of background noise.

I am barely able to open my book before my phone dings, notifying me there is a message. Really, Castle? I bet he isn't even out of the parking lot. But, to my surprise, it isn't Castle. 'Just landed. -L'  I smile and set my phone down, picking my book back up and finally opening it.

It is peaceful and quiet, and I decide maybe being by myself for the next day won't be as bad as I had imagined it would. Besides, I am not alone at all. I touch my stomach and smile at the calmness.