Chapter 10

As soon as they hit the trees, all four went silent. They switched to chatting over mind speech, and Adam was pleased to find that he could relate to both of the Alpha's pups. Through his wolf, he could almost sense a kinship, but knowing where the spirit came from, decided to put it aside, as an elder had taken him aside and let him know that he should make new bonds, rather than use those 'ghost bonds', although they would make it easier to forge new bonds of friendship. His wolf agreed with that then, but now was whining about it.

They ghosted up behind half the inner patrol, not seeing the other two, thinking they were going to get the drop, only to have sticks lightly tapped on them behind, and all four of them being tripped as the two turned with a grin.

Once the shock wore off, Adam started laughing. "We ourselves got a little complacent," he commented. "We could see two that seeming were inattentive, and fell into a reverse trap."

The leader offered his hand to Adam, "It would work only once, and I wanted to get the time off that is promised."

Adam took it, and used it to pull himself up, "You got it, Kevin. Although, you will have to wait till after the Trials. We are stretched a little, as it is."

*Martin, not sure if you were watching,* Adam knew he had the control room tonight, *But we got taken a little complacent ourselves!*

Martin's amused reply came right back, *I was watching, and was nearly a perfect takedown. They will have their month off, but what should we do for the fact not only they took you two down, but the other two Alpha pups?*

Brook smiled, *We will have to discuss that. Not too sure right now. We are a little smarting on our pride.*

Adam smiled, "Martin saw the take down, and said it was near perfect. You did take all four of us out, in addition to your month off – arrange it with Martin – what would you want?"

Kevin blinked, "What do you mean by more?"

Brook laughed, "The week was to take out Adam or myself, a month to take us both out. You did that, but also too took out John and Bri. I forgot you hadn't been introduced, they are Alpha Gareth's two pups and are presumptive alphas."

Kevin shook his head, going a little white, "I didn't realise it..." he trailed off at Bri's laugh and John's amused expression.

"I take it you are new?" John asked.

Kevin nodded, "Barnet and myself follow Adam and Brook, and are in the Wild Valley Pack, while Nina and Blake are MacLaren, and were from Shadowed River."

Both Bri and John pulled the four in for a hug, and to get to know their scents.

"Welcome to all four of you." Bri commented, "One of us will be taking the Next Alpha role, and be our father's heir. We decided between ourselves to wait to see who does better, and if one doesn't want it."

"We had been considering the other to do the Second, but not sure as there is a new one training." John added.

*We don't have a second, yet* Brook added silently, not including the patrol, *We can discuss it later.*

"Can we think on it?" Blake asked.

Brook nodded, "OK. Let us know, no later than the end of the Trials, then."

Kevin nodded, as they continued their rounds, and the four headed back onto the trail, this time keeping an eye out for anyone else trying to get a drop on them.

*****

They tried to sneak up on the next patrol they came across, but before they got close to getting into position, Martin called, *You're caught! The patrol just called in an alert. They caught your movement. They are a new patrol, and only qualified as a team three months ago!*