Chapter 2 - Birthdays

Author Note: Special thanks for MaxD01; this chapter was co-written between us.  The overlap between this story and his A Pregnancy Story is intentional, but we tried to make each slightly different.  Enjoy!

Adam woke up the next morning and grinned, thinking back to the end of February and Brook's birthday. She almost got out the surprise from him, but he had her friends, and their pups handle it. It had been after dinner, and they made it back to their suite before them, and surprised her with the small gathering. Even both Alphas had dropped in.

He remembered her thanks the best, and even now it brought a smile to his lips. Brook turned to Adam, "Here I thought everyone had forgotten about my birthday! This was a great surprise, and I forgive you for keeping it from me." She told him before pulling him in for a heated kiss, not aware of the noise made by the others.

He smiled, as it was Jess and Joshua's twentieth today. He had passed it to a few of the new pack, and they were going to be doing some good for them.

Coming into the main dining hall, it was full to overflowing, with nearly the entirety pack there.

Jess and Joshua had been placed in the Alpha's table, which was raised up a step, so all could see and be seen by them; it was their coming-of-age birthday, after all.

As the parents, they got the honour of giving the first gifts. Adam placed down a sheathed sword in front of both of them. Both were awed along with those close to them. "You two have earned the respect of your sword teacher, when I asked if you should get them, he not only said yes, but also helped me pick them out. Wear them with pride and honour." He gave both a hug. Those swords would have been worth a fortune, if they had been made for them the trainer had told him; that they were sitting collecting dust for the right bearer was surprising. The sheaths he and Brook had worked at making, as the original ones were falling apart.

Brook passed them a bow that fit each of them, for their strength and style. They smiled at it. The Bow and Sword were still the pack's main weapons, as they could be dealt without much human oversight.

Toby and Robin brought up a quiver full of arrows, they smiled and hugged them as well; they had been in on the surprises.

The alphas gave each of them a dagger, before the rest of their friend descended and gave them other small practical gifts. The chefs had made the normal food, but had mad some treats and even a cake. Many stayed and chatted, those that didn't have duties they couldn't get out of. Some had to run after the breakfast party, but when it broke up, several helped the two take their gifts back to their room. Adam had some work he needed to check on, so slipped out fairly soon after the cake was distributed.

Since they had already given the oaths, they didn't need to give them again.

*****

Dante was handling the main phone line for the pack, and since he wasn't too close to Adam or his pups, wasn't too concerned about missing the birthday party. He did get brought some of the treats, including the cake, though.

It was still early so getting a call was a bit surprising. The number was flagged as a known number from another pack, but was not a secured line, "MacLaren Pack, how may I direct the call?"

"Good morning, this is Beta Joshua Calahan of the Fossil Valley pack in Oregon. I need to talk to... Alpha Gareth I believe. It is in reference to a Night Depth's pack."

He blinked for a moment and looked at the time, "Alpha Gareth is currently in a meeting with the Elders. Would a Second be acceptable?"

Josh wasn't familiar with the term second but he was guessing it was similar to a Beta, "Yes, that would be fine."