Chapter 4 - First Elder's Meeting

The next morning, Adam and Brook rolled out of bed, "I'm surprised that for once we didn't have one else curled up with us." Adam commented, as they headed into the shower, knowing they had the meeting with their elders this morning.

"I think the fire last night relaxed many of them, as we both had many come to us for personal attention over it." Brook replied.

Heading into the Alpha's boardroom after breakfast for the first official meeting with their elders, as it was the most secure, Adam and Brook nodded greetings as the elders came in. All looked much older from stress and neglect. Several were using canes, others the arm of another wolf, who left after helping them to a seat. All six of them were moving slowly. To Adam, they looked like they were about ninety if they were human, while the MacLaren Elders appeared seventy for the oldest.

When the last one was seated, Adam sat up at one side with Brook, while the elders sat on the other, "Thank you for all coming. I am planning on scheduling this meeting for weekly, to make sure we all have the same information." Looking at the room he saw looks that ranged from startled to pleased. "I will consult with you when possible on major issues, but I will not allow you to dictate the decision. Brook and I are equal and either of will be doing the deciding, and when needed, will work together to decide."

They were all smiles to that, "I think I speak for all of us, and can live with that." Elise commented, getting murmurs of confirmation from the others.

That lessened the stress for all there; Adam was worried that they would want more say than just advising, as seemed to be the case in Arctic Shadow. "You are a wealth of wisdom and experience, and we would be fools to not use it." He told them, "I love the saying, 'Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.' As I have seen it happen, where someone ignores the past and just thinks 'It can't happen to me' and when it does, they are very surprised. I want the pack to succeed, and flourish like MacLaren has."

The elders smiled, and Elise seemed to be their spokesperson, as she again replied, "That is a good way to work. Have you been reading pack histories?"

"We both have." Brook replied, "I have to say the restricted Alpha records are much more informative and detailed. Especially the reasoning behind some of the laws, and what happened before the law was made."

Taking a breath, "We are here to share some executive secrets. They are to not be spoken of to others, unless it is absolutely necessary. Several of them are of a personal nature, and don't see a need for the pack in general to know." Getting nods from the elders, he hoped they knew how to be discrete. He would need to just trust them.

"The first thing, is my wolf has some memories from a previous incarnation, as the previous Alpha of MacLaren Pack, and Alpha Gareth's grandfather, Ralph. He died about seventy years ago." There was sever exclamations of surprise. A couple talked about another case, which strangely enough was also the last time a wolf had taken the Alpha at a young age, although it had also been kept a pack secret till his death.

"That makes some sense, from your bonds with this pack, and with the ease the other Alphas have around you, when they usually would have their back up; they know you aren't going to challenge them for their position." Elise said, slowly as she thought it out. "How much does he know?" she asked.

"Not too much he shares with me," Adam answered truthfully, "When he does, it is for the issue at hand and usually is something that resolves an issue or the comment gives me the information to work it out. I'm not going to push to have him share everything, but trust he will continue to help me learn and grow as an alpha. I do know that he has helped me gain the physical skills to preform."