Part 24

Well that was absolutely mortifying.
You lean into Ryan, his arm around your shoulder as you stand in the circle of all of his friends. You're against his car, texting on your phone as everyone chats back and forth about when they could possibly get another gig and the agent guy from before and all that jazz.
You're not paying any attention, how can you? Your mother was suddenly in hyperdrive about your relationship. Not only had she reminded you about where babies come from that morning, but the twenty minute berating had felt like it had gone on for hours.
You'd assured her you and Ryan weren't having sex, you weren't ready for that, you didn't intend on getting pregnant any time soon --- and no, there wasn't anything to worry about.
Basically you'd lied through your teeth to your mother.
There was no way in hell you were going to tell her you're having sex!
And it had only been the one time!
Why was she suddenly on a bender about it?
Ryan had used a condom anyway, you'd watched him put it on! You have nothing to worry about!
.... right?
Like, you know condoms aren't a hundred percent effective, they break of course, you're not an idiot.
You chew your lip worriedly.
Should you be on birth control?
You've heard all the horror stories of not being able to have kids if you take it for so many years, and you do want them, some day.
But not yet.
Eh, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into it, anyway, just to be safe.
It couldn't hurt.
"Hey, you guys wanna grab some Chinese? I'm craving some pineapple chicken," you hear Ricky suddenly say, stretching his arms over his head. "We haven't been in ages."
"Sounds good to me," you hear Ryan agree, and he squeezes your shoulders to get your attention. "Babe?"
"Ah, I can't. I have some errands to run today," you sigh, clicking your phone screen off as you stuff it into your pocket. "But you guys have fun."
"You sure?" Ryan blinks; you love Chinese, you'd never said no before.
"Yeah." You give him a quick smile. You have to get his Christmas present in order, it was going to be Christmas soon and you need to buy his gift card.
He hasn't mentioned Christmas any, probably hasn't thought about it since it's so far away, but you'd already bought him some knick knacks in preparation.
You're so excited!
You know it's not an actual gift, but he can use it to buy his guitar and you're just --- eee!
He'll never suspect a thing!
Why do you have that mischievous twinkle in your eye? Ryan eyes you warily as you give him a quick kiss before darting across the parking lot to your car, waving at someone who calls out to you.
What are you up too?
"So we ready to go?" Ricky asks, nudging at Devin as his friends don't respond. "I'm starving!"
"Yeah, we can go --- Ryan?" Chris raises his brows. Ryan is just staring after you, a confused look on his face.
But you never turn down Chinese!
"Uh... yeah."
~~~~~
You pick through the gift cards, wondering which one would be the best. You know the site he's going to use, but you figure you can just give him the money --- can you deposit a gift card in the bank?
Oh this is getting complicated.
You chew your lip as you rock back on your heels, trying to decide what to do. You're only putting four hundred on it, Ryan had mentioned he'd saved up almost eight so that should be enough to cover the cost, right?
How much did shipping cost on a guitar?
Eh.
You're wary of doing five hundred.
You'd barely used your card at all last month and this one in an effort to keep the balance low, so when your father suddenly got a bill for an extreme amount it would sort of even out, in your mind.
You'd do just about anything at this point to make him have a coronary after making your mother cry like that.
Now.
What should you do?
"What are you looking for?"
Hmm?
You glance over absently, but stiffen as you recognize who'd stepped up to you. You frown at Balz, wondering what he was doing in the same store as you.
"Nothing important. You know all the guys went for Chinese right?"
"I think I know what my friends are doing, thanks."
Snarky ass has returned.
You roll your eyes as you turn away, but Balz doesn't leave, just watches you peruse the cards like a creep.
"Is there something you want?" You finally sigh, crossing your arms uncomfortably.
"Yeah, actually... look, I know we don't get along, okay?" He shifts a little uneasily, crossing his arms as he glances around as if to make sure no one saw him speaking to you. "And don't think just because you and Ryan are fucking now that you're anymore in the group then you were before."
What the fuck?
You stare at Balz like he's grown a second head, taken back.
What did he mean, in the group? You don't give a shit about his little friends! You're not dating Ryan to become part of his weird inner circle, that was the stupidest thing you've ever heard!
"Okay, look, let's get some things straight," you start, your voice scathing as you turn to face him down, and not above doing it loudly and publicly. "I'm with Ryan because I like him, is that clear enough for you? I don't give a shit about you or your friends, I have my own! What the hell is your problem with me!? I've never done anything to you!"
"You're going to ruin everything!" Balz snaps, looking frustrated as he stands his ground.
"Oh my god, how am I going to do that?" You sound as exasperated as you feel.
"Ryan's not focusing on the band anymore, he's focusing on you! I need this band to work, (Y/N)! And I'm not gonna let you fuck it up for me!"
"So this isn't even about Ryan, is it? It's all about your stupid garage band!" You snap, gritting your teeth the angrier you become; now his vendetta was even more idiotic!
He's such a selfish prat!
He didn't care about Ryan, he just feels his musical career is in danger, which is the most ridiculous reason to be an asshole you'd ever heard!
Ugh!
"It's not stupid, it's going to be my way out of here!" He hisses at you, glaring at you from beneath his beanie. It was already starting to get cold, so everyone was having to dress warmer then before. "I need this!"
"Yeah right! You're so selfish! Do you even care about anyone else?" You demand, glaring at him like he's gum on the bottom of your shoe.
"Of course I do! But Ryan will be fine when you're gone, you're just a girl! People move on with their lives!"
AHHH.
You want to punch him!
With a freaking house!
You ball your fists, wanting to scream at him you're so frustrated! Just when you think he's not going to be an asshole around you --- he fucking switches gears again!
You can't freaking stand him!
You suck in a tight breath, feeling like you should just be able to exhale fire and burn him to a crisp.
One day.
If Balz wants a war, so freaking be it! You'd been chill about him so far, but he has no idea the bitch you're about to start being.
Let the games begin!
You can't even speak, you just turn on your heel and storm out of the store, letting the door slam harder then necessary on your way out.
Balz watches you go, satisfied that the damage has been done.
He casually takes a step back, glancing onto the other side of the cards where he's pretty sure your dad is standing; he'd saw an opportunity to use your douchy dad against you and so he'd taken it.
He's also sure your dad had heard every word, too.
That's why Balz had mentioned you and Ryan sleeping together.
It was no secret that Ryan didn't think your dad liked him, and no father wants to hear their little girl is spreading her legs for a boy they don't like.
So.
Balz has fired the first missiles.
Your turn to deal with the damage.
~~~~
Your mother sighs as she sees your father's picture appear on her phone, a silly photo from a few years back at one of your birthday parties. He was wearing a princess hat and blowing a balloon, and it's one of her favorites of him.
Now she resents having to look at it.
She groans out loud before answering the call.
"Hello ---?"
"Is (Y/N) having sex?" Your father demands the instant he hears his ex wife's voice, not wasting any time.
"What?" She's startled; that's not how she expected the conversation to start. "Chris ---?"
"I was in the store picking up some things, and I overheard her and another boy talking. Is she having sex with that boyfriend of hers!?"
Your mother frowns, tapping her nails against her kitchen counter.
The audacity!
He wants to have a conversation and their daughters sex life!? But he hasn't even brought up the point your mother and him had slept together!
This is the first time he's called her, the first contact she's had since that night, and he, he ---.
"Let me explain something to you," your mother's voice is chilling. "What (Y/N) does is no longer your concern, she's an eighteen year old adult now, remember? You haven't been involved in her life for the past year and a half, why the hell do you care what she's doing now!?"
"She's my daughter, that's why! And I have been involved!" He squawks indignantly, the rustling movement of the phone letting your mother know he's driving.
"Paying her bills doesn't make you involved! It's one thing to treat me badly, but it's another to do it to her! You've been ignoring her, abandoning her since you took up with that whore of yours!" Your mother hisses, her voice pure venom. "It's going to get to a point where our daughter is going to hate you and not want anything to do with you! And when that woman of yours gets tired of you because you're old, you'll want some family to fall back on!"
"Melanie ---!"
"No, don't you --- don't you ever call me thinking you can involve yourself in her life again, do you understand me? You have no right to ever dictate to her about anything else! If she wants to have sex with Ryan, by God she can! She's not hurting anyone, and it's none of your business!"
"It ---!"
"It's not, Chris! And I never want to hear anything like this again! That boy has been nothing but good to her and you know it! Being an asshole to the poor kid isn't getting any points with her, and so help me god if you interfere with her life and she comes home miserable, I'll never let you forget it!"
Your mother ends the call.
There!
She hasn't felt so angry in what feels like ages! She's been wanting to tell your father off for a long time, and it feels good to finally put him in his place for once!
Your mother's no fool, she figures you and Ryan are sleeping together, you're of the age and he's a good boy. She knows you wouldn't have told her the truth, and she worries, but she can't do anything to stop it.
She's learned with your father how little control she has over anything.
But she loves you, and she's not going to let that overbearing man think he has a say in anything!
Ugh!
~~~~~
You: I have his gift card! Everything is in place! EEE