Part 14

​​​​​
“And then you had to take her home?” Ricky groans, leaning back on the couch. “Dude, lame!”
“I know!” Ryan sighs, rubbing the stubble on his jaw. “But damn it was good while it lasted.”

“Sounds like it. So are you over freaking out if she slept with that tool or not?”
“I… Figure it doesn’t matter,” Ryan shrugs, shifting uncomfortably. “Like, she’s with me now, right? What happened before is before.”
“Good way of thinking about it,” Ricky nods approvingly. “Glad you’re not being an ass about it. Did you ever ask her if she had?”
“Nah, it’s not come up any.”
“Yeah, there’s never really a good time to ask your girlfriend who her previous fucks are,” Ricky jokes, earning a chuckle.
“Suppose not. Hey, Dev.”
“Hey guys. Where’s everyone else?”
“Late as fucking usual. Just us so far. You wanna hear how Ryans date went?” Ricky asks, sinking lower on the couch, propping his feet on the coffee table. They were supposed to be meeting for band practice, but so far hardly anyone had shown up.
“Duh! How’d it go? You guys were gonna see a movie right?”
“Yup. And it was okay.” Ryan shrugs; he hadn’t really watched it, he’d been kind of busy making out with you in the back — it had been the lead up to leaving the movie early and driving somewhere private enough for the two of you to make it to the backseat.
“Aww, I was hoping it would’ve been good.”
“Now tell him the rest about the date,” Ricky prods, wanting to see Devins reaction; he was your avid cheerleader, always praising you and talking about you to a point where even Ryan sometimes wondered if he had a crush or not. But then it was Devin, and you had been kind to him, and that was all that was required to earn his loyalty and trust. Plus the two of you seemed to genuinely be friends.
“Really? She was gonna sleep with you?” Devin sounds surprised when Ryan tells him what happened.
“Yup. We were so close. I was already reaching for the condoms.”
“Sucks she has a curfew.” Ricky chuckles.
Yes.
Yes it did.
Devin frowns. He hadn’t thought you the type to jump into a relationship physically, at least not so quickly. Usually it didn’t end well when it started off like that. 
Did he have you pegged wrong?
Were you going to surprise him? 
He hopes not. 
“So have you talked to her since?”
“Yeah.” Ryan rubs the back of his neck. “We’re good. I’m thinking maybe next weekend we’ll plan our time a little better.”
“Watch her not be in the mood,” Ricky grins. “You’re never going to get laid at this rate.”
“Ugh, Ricky —.”
“You’re not with her just to sleep with her, are you?” Devin asks, troubled as he looked at his friends.
“What? No. I like her. If she doesn’t want to sleep with me it’s not that big of a deal, it’s just —.”
“Hey, if she initiates wanting to bang, then there’s nothing wrong with going with the flow,” Ricky informs him promptly, reaching for his pack of cigarettes. “You ride that as far as she wants it to go.”
Devin rolls his eyes. He’s pretty sure if you knew Ryan was discussing your date in such vivid detail to his friends you wouldn’t be very pleased with him, he hopes Ryan knows that.
Devin only half listens to Ryan and Ricky chatter as he reaches for his phone, texting you.
He had to ask you something. 
~~~~~
“Hey, babe.” Ryans voice is almost perky as he catches up with you at school, his arm curling around your shoulder.
“Oh, hey,” you flush, giving him a crooked smile. You feel a little awkward, although you shouldn’t, but you’re kind of embarrassed about how you acted on your date. It had only been your second official one, and you’d basically jumped his bones like it was normal for you!
You weren’t that kind of person, what was wrong with you!?
Fucking him in the backseat of his car like you have any idea what you’d be doing!? You Really Need To Tell Ryan The Truth.
When it came up.
You weren’t just gonna blurt it out. Okay, so at the right time then.
If there ever was one.
You withhold a sigh.
“So I was thinking,” Ryan says, oblivious to your inner turmoil, “maybe this weekend we can hang again. Maybe… Finish what we started?” his voice drops low, and your cheeks go crimson immediately, your eyes flicking up to his mischievous ones.
“Finish —?”
“Yeah. We’ll plan it a bit better, make sure we actually have time,” he grins, giving your shoulders a light squeeze.
Oh.
Um —.
Shit, what do you say!?
You hesitate, biting your lower lip nervously, your eyes flicking around as you try to find a way out of the conversation. Luckily, Vinny happens to come trotting up about that time, and you let your breath go in relief as he immediately starts talking, unaware he’d just saved you from an awkward situation. 
“Ryan! I’ve been looking for you everywhere! I can’t find anyone!” Vinny wheezes, looking weighed down from his backpack, which wouldn’t even zip around all the books he was carrying. “Somethings happened –’!”
“What’s happened?” Ryan blinks at him, moving some of his dark hair from his face. Surely nothing too horrible, right? Nothing that would absolutely burst the nice happy bubble he had going on?
He really does sincerely like you, and he’d woke up excited for once to go to school just so he could see you, talk to you. He hadn’t been quite so buzzy since the beginning of his last relationship, before the newness had worn off. 
Hopefully that wouldn’t happen with you though. 
“It’s Devin, he got in a fight with another guy, and —.” Vinnys words all tumble out together, but you and Ryan both straighten in alarm.
“Where?” you demand, your voice sharp, worried.
Someone hurt Devin!?
No!
He got in a fight!?
“The old gym —.”
You start immediately, Ryan on your heels as you power walk through the throng of students building in front of the old gym doors. You shove a few lower class men out of the way, huffing with the exertion; why did everyone always gather around to watch people fight but not do anything to stop it!?
Ryan shoves the double doors open, Vinny hastily following the two of you inside. You hesitate only a moment, your jaw clenching.
That asshole!
Devin staggers a little as Sean shoves him backward, smirking and waving his knuckles where he’d already busted Devins nose.
“I told you to stay away from my girlfriend!” Sean spits, looking like he was about to grab Devin again.
“Back off!” You snap, brazenly stepping forward and glaring at him as you reach for Devin, who was half leaned over, clutching his nose as blood started to dribble through his fingers. “What the hell is wrong with you!?”
Where the hell was a teacher when you needed one!?
“Devin!” You turn to him worriedly, your hands reaching for his. He flinches away from you, his eyes squeezed shut, but you latch onto him quickly, bringing him to your side. “Devin, let me see! Are you okay!?”
“What the fuck is your problem?” Ryan demands, letting his bag drop to the floor as he steps in front of you and Devin, squaring off with the blonde haired boy. “The fuck did he do to you?”
Sean hesitates a split second, looking taken back at the interruption, but straightens, narrowing his eyes at Ryan. He hadn’t expected any of the Losers friends to intervene; he’d been trying to make a point to the girly Motherfucker and all those like him how unwelcome they were, especially talking to his girlfriend! 
“Back off!” Sean puffs, cracking his knuckles. “This has nothing to do with you!”
“Like hell! I’m not gonna let you mess with one of my friends, you football fucker!”
Sean looks offended; he’d never been called that before.
Ryan can hear you cooing to Devin behind him, trying to see his nose and soothe him the best you can. He dares a glance behind him to see you had your hands cupping Devins on his face, his blood starting to dribble onto your skin; you don’t even seem to notice, too concerned with trying to get Devin to not have a heart attack in the middle of the old gym lobby. Vinny wasn’t around, so Ryans hoping he went for a teacher or someone.
“Do you think you can get off with punching my friend?” Ryan hisses, becoming more and more pissed off. “Fucking hit me and see what happens! Go on, if you’re so fucking tough! Hit me!”
Sean stiffens; but Ryan would hit back whereas Devin had sort of cowered. He hadn’t expected someone to appear who would actually fight him! He takes an uneasy step back, and Ryan glares at him.
“What? You not gonna hit someone who’ll hit back, you little bitch?” he taunts, clenching his fists, and Sean huffs, squaring his shoulders and refusing to look like the coward he was in front of his fellow students. “Fucking hit me, I Dare you!”
“What the hell is going on here!?”
Everyone pauses, their heads turning as they see the coach heading in their direction, wheezing from having to go so quickly, his face beet red. He hadn’t moved so quickly since his wife had left him and he’d been chasing her!
“Coach!” Sean gasps, seeing a way out. He starts to speak, but before he can, Ryan sucker punches him, sending him sailing flat on his back, head cracking against the tiled floor.
“Sitkowski!” the coach bellows, his beady eyes flicking around the crowded lobby and to the students. One was clearly hurt, bleeding all over one of the girls, and now he had Sean Burnes knocked out on the ground, one of his best defenders!
Oh jeez jeez jeez.
He was gonna have to involve the principal in this.
Oh jeez.
~~~~
“You understand how disappointed we are in the four of you,” Principal Mackey says, scowling at you and the three boys as you are forced to sit in his office, as if it was your fault Sean was an asshole. “We’ve alerted your parents to the fact there was an altercation and all are in their way.”
Ryan snorts, his chin propped on his hand.
Yeah right, his parents weren’t coming. They’d never been to one of his schools.
“Something funny, Mr. Sitkowski?” the principle demands, crossing his suited arms. “Does the situation amuse you?”
“Uh —.”
“But Ryan didn’t do anything!” You burst, clenching your hands tightly in your lap, growing more and more upset. “He was just defending Devin!”
“Quiet, (Y/N)! We’ll discuss the situation when Chris and Melanie get here.”
Ugh!
So not cool!
Ryan sends you a sideways glance.
Why was the principal on a first name basis with your parents?
That’s weird.
You glare at Sean where he sits in a chair pulled several feet away from where the three of you are. He’s slumped down, trying not to look worried and completely failing. He knows he’s sunk.
You cross your arms sulkily.
This so wasn’t fair!
Ryan watches as the principal paces, looking aggravated at having to deal wotu a situation like this. A star football player! The daughter of his freaking lawyer and his wife’s best friend!
This was terrible.
And what about these two!? He’d never had dealings with them before, although they were on his radar for potential troublemakers.
Just look at them! 
He pinches the bridge of his nose.
He basically knows what happened.
Sean picked on Sola, you and Sitkowski got involved because Sitkowski and Sola were friends and you were apparently dating Sitkowski. 
Talk about connections.
Your father was going to have a coronary, Principal Mackey can’t imagine he’s too pleased with your choice in boyfriends anyway.
Wonderful. 
Just wonderful. 
He needs to make a few more phone calls.
Everyone waits until he’s out of the room before exploding.
“This is all your fault!” You snarl at Sean, glowering at him.
“My fault?” he snaps, scowling. “Your boyfriend hit me!”
“You started it!”
“I didn’t do anything to him!”
“You hurt Devin!”
“Only a little bit! My eye is black —!”
“And you deserve more then that for being a bully!”
“I’m not a bully!”
“Tell that to Devins nose!”
Ryan, who is seated between the two of you, looks back and forth, kind of impressed. He glances over at Devin on your other side, seeing he was miserable, holding the ice pack to his nose. He hadn’t said one word the entire time they’d been in the office, just sat there quietly while the rest of them argued.
Ryans a little worried 
What had happened before you and him had gotten there?
“My dad’s gonna kill me,” he hears Sean groan miserably.
“You should’ve thought about that beforehand, asshole!”
“Since when are you even on their side, huh?” Sean demands, glaring at you. “You’re supposed to be my friend!”
“I was your friend! Until I found out what an asshole you can be to people who don’t deserve it! How can you expect me to like you when you act that way!? Grow the hell up, Sean!”
The kid actually pouts.
Yeah, you were pretty hardcore when pissed, Ryan had already learned that. And he kind of likes you more for it too.
You could stand up for yourself just fine.
The door opens, and the four of you swivel to see who it is.
You shrivel a little as you see your dad walk in, dressed in one of his tailored black suits that made him look really intimidating and professional. He always wore them when he had a case or something to win and wanted to scare off the opponent.
Now it just made him look scary.
Devins eyes grow huge as he sees the tall man, probably taller then even Chris!
“Dad —.”
“Not now, (Y/N),” your father responds, glancing around at the group gathered as the principal wearily walks in behind him. “We’ll talk about this at home.”
Home?
No way.
“Where’s Mom?”
“She hasn’t arrived yet apparently,” he says dryly, sitting his black, sleek suitcase on the desk. “I was close by when Tanner called.”
Who the fuck was Tanner? Ryan wonders. Like, the principal?
“So what’s the damage?” your father asks, fixing his red tie. “Is my daughter in any trouble?”
“No. She didn’t do anything, it —.”
“Then I see no reason for her to remain in this office.” your father interrupts smoothly. “I’m taking her home.”
The principal looks chagrined.
“Chris —.”
“Dad —.”
“Then we’re done. Come on, (Y/N).”
You frown, refusing to budge. “What about everyone else?”
“If they’ve done something wrong they’ll be dealt with accordingly. Now let’s go.”
No.
You cross your arms, leaning back in your chair.
“Dad.”
“(Y/N).”
“Sean hurt Devin!” You say quickly, knowing that you need to get it out before he can interrupt you again. “And Ryan stood up for him, that’s all that happened! He shouldn’t get in trouble for protecting his friend!” 
Your dad purses his lips, his eyes flicking about the motley crew. “Devin,” he was assuming, did have an ice pack on his face. And your boyfriend had some bruising knuckles. And Sean had a blackening eye, and your father knew his personality. 
He figures that’s exactly what happened.
He sighs, and turns to the principal, resigned.
You wouldn’t let it go until you got your way, and he needs some points with you right now anyway after his behavior lately; he really has been a bad father and he wants to make it up to you. Perhaps helping your friends will make you a little less harsh on him?
Worth a shot.
“Tanner, did Burnes attack Mr. Devin unprovoked?”
“Uh —.”
“And then did Mr. Sitkowski step in in his defense, punching Burnes only because he felt the safety of his friends were threatened? Possibly even his girlfriend, my daughter? If he felt they were threatened he was more then in his right to protect them to the best of his ability. I am aware that fighting in school is forbidden, but don’t you think under the circumstances the punishment can be less then suspension?”
Suspension!?
No! 
Ryan couldn’t get suspended!
“Chris —-.”
“I am a merely suggesting perhaps a week of detention for Sitkowski, less even because the boy works after school. Burnes, however, is the one who really committed an offense, don’t you agree?” your father’s voice was cool and persuasive, and the principal is resigned.
There was no point in arguing.
He’d used your father on his past two divorces, he knew how good he was.
“Fine. But when Mr. Burnes parents get here —.”
“I’ll talk to Sheila and Stan, they’ll understand what’s going on.” your father shrugs, his hand on your shoulder. “Now, can these students return to their classes? Why mess up their schooling further?”
Nice!
Principal Mackey groans internally, then waves his hand dismissively. 
“Fine, go. But I don’t want to have to see you boys in my office again,” he warns Devin and Ryan as they hastily stand. “Except you, Burnes. Sit down.”
You perk up, and hastily gather your things as you follow Devin and Ryan into the hallway, your father on your heels.
You’d honestly thought he’d be against you, make sure your friends were punished when they didn’t do anything wrong. You’re beyond grateful he’d stood by your side instead and helped you.
“Thank you,” you say, turning to look up at your father. 
“Well, there’s right and wrong,” he shrugs in response. “You know how I feel about it all.”
Of course you do.
You bite your lip, then step forward to hug him, he blinking in surprise for a moment before holding you back, softening.
There’s his little girl.
He made the right choice.
Ryan and Devin shuffle down the hallway a little, giving the two of you some privacy.
“That’s her dad?” Devin croaks softly, his nose sore and hurting. He’s still kind of hunched, he’s embarrassed and feels like shit, but he’ll power through it. He appreciates more then anyone knows you and Ryan standing up for him, even your dad coming to the rescue.
People didn’t do that for him often.
“Yeah. I’ve only met him twice but he’s a scary dude.” Ryan mumbles, rubbing his knuckles where they hurt. “I don’t think he likes me much.”
Devin just grimaces.
After a moment you and your father join the two of them, you smiling.
“I’ll call you later;” your father says, leaning down go press a quick kiss into your hair. 
“Okay, thanks, Dad.”
“Well…. That ended better then expected.” Ryan comments, scratching his head, his eyes on your father as he disappears down the hallway. 
“Yeah… I didn’t think him calling my dad would end as well as it did.” You shrug, reaching for Ryan. He takes your hand immediately, threading his fingers through yours. He’s rather proud of you really.
Heh.
You look at Devin, a little worried.
“Are you gonna be okay?” you ask, biting your lip. “Do you want me to just take you home or anything?”
“Home… Would be nice.” 
You smile at him, and turn, pressing a warm kiss to Ryans cheek. “I’ll take Devin home and see you later.”
“What about school?” Ryan arches a brow at you.
You shrug. “I don’t think Mackey is going to mind me missing the rest of the day after my dad’s been here, do you?”
You had a point.
“Alright.”
~~~~~
“It was so cool! Her dad came in and Mackeys entire attitude changed — like he’s afraid of the dude or something! I got two days of detention and that’s literally it!”
“What about Sean?”
“Suspended two days, two weeks of detention when he gets back,” Ryan smirks. His opinion of your father had went up like times 4 fifty at this point, and you didn’t look like you’d eaten a raw lemon when he was brought up now either.
It had been so cool how he swooped in and saved the day.
Ricky and Chris look impressed. They’re huddled around Ryans car as he chain smokes, preparing himself to go to his personal hell.
Or work.
Whatever people wanted to call it.
“And he’s taller then Chris?”
“Looks like it.”
“And he doesn’t freak you out?”
“Of course he freaks me out, he’s my girlfriends dad. Who’s a lawyer. And a giant. But a fucking badass! You guys should have been there!”
“Yeah, wish we could’ve seen Seans face,” Chris ageees, amused. Ryan was hardly ever so animated, and it was a nice change.
Maybe you’d be good for him after all.
“So whyd her parents break up?” Ricky asks curiously, his eyes lifting from his phone where he’d been texting.
“Oh, uh, I think her dad cheated on her mom or something,” Ryan looks a little uncomfortable. “(Y/N) doesn’t really talk about it.”
Vinny had told them that before, but it had just been a rumor.
And Ryan could see your dad thinking he was too cool to get caught and fucking around.
Some guys you could just look at and tell.
“Huh. Seems you got lucky,” Chris comments.
“Yup!” Ryan grins.
He did get lucky; dating you was the best thing ever.
Now if only he could get lucky in another way…..