An Absolute Idiot and his Love

Arjun then said, "Well we could expose him. His ally Kings will withdraw their support and with the death of their king, the subjects will be less likely to trust him. He will lose all kinds of military force and his chances of comeback would be less."

I pondered over his words. It would be a good idea but it made me feel weak. I was strong, I could fight his army with sound strategy and leadership. Urvashi silently observed us. She seemed to understand what had been running through my head. She placed a hand on my shoulder and said, "I remember when I was with Sangharsh, he told me that all battles are not won on the field, some are won inside the minds."

Arjun scoffs, "seems like he did something right in his entire life."

Urvashi just gave a sad smile, "he did, didn't he? I'll take care of inviting the courtiers. I know after last night's festivities all his allies are in the guest rooms. I'll summon them in Sangharsh's name. I have done this many times, so the servants should not suspect anything. Until then you should just lie low in the throne room. That's where the meetings are held. " She walked off after saying that to us. I just stared at her with awe. She had suffered more than me, in the last couple of hours, yet, she carried herself with the grace of a queen. I wish I had the same grace as her.

Arjun's voice startled me, "it seems unreal doesn't it?"

"What does?", I asked.

"This, all this is going to end in a couple of hours. You'll have your kingdom back and I'll go back to mine. We might never meet again. You'll be busy running your kingdom and might forget me", He said with a sad smile.

I just hugged him, "I'll never forget you. Though I don't think I could rule my kingdom. I am a woman and only a man can rule a kingdom."

"But you saved them all, they respect you and you would make a great queen", Arjun said.

"They respect me as a savior, not as their sovereign but I guess I could rule one way", I mused.

"How?", he asked.

"Well, I pledged allegiance to you. So, technically my kingdom is a part of yours if you were to trust me enough and tell my subjects that you want me to be the governor of your lands it could work", princessI said.

"But I don't just want you to be a governor, I want you to be my equal. Our kingdoms are equal, so as its heir you are my equal. We have always been brought up as equals, so I can't imagine it changing", Arjun heatedly replied.

"The only way to give me any equality would be for you to marry me and I am sure you don't want to be saddled with me for a wife. Besides I am too young to marry anyone", I nonchalantly said. He stayed silent. I just raised my eyebrow.

"And what if I said yes. What if I do want to marry you?", he asked me with mischief glinting in his eyes.

It was my turn to stay silent and I turned a warm shade of red.

He just chuckled. "Both of us are really young to get married right now. You can still be the princess. You can retain your royal status for serving our empire. I trust you enough to know that you won't run your own country into debt so I'll make you the governor. You'll have to pay me a nominal tribute as your emperor for appearance's sake. I don't want to take your money but it will be suspicious if I don't and you will have to consult me before going to war. That's it."

"I know and I don't think I am going to war for a long time. I don't think I am ever going to go to war. I think this drama is enough to last me a lifetime", I said.

"Then you don't know yourself enough Avantika. You attract drama wherever you go", he chuckled.

Our conversation was interrupted by the arrival of the courtiers. Urvashi stood next to the throne and beckoned me to come over. I tugged Arjun's hand and he followed me.