The Start Of Something New?

Start from the beginning

I nodded. She grabbed my hand.

"C'mon, let's go get some ice."

She pulled me out the room and back to the kitchen. She sat me down in the chair and got out the ice pack and some bandages from earlier. She bent down in front of me and gently placed the ice pack on my side. I flinched and bit my tongue. Once my sides were numb, she wrapped the bandage around me.

"There all done. Does it feel better?" she asked.

I nodded my head.

"Do you want to go to bed?"

"Yea, I'm a little tired." I replied.

"Okay."

We walked back to my room and got back under the covers. I played on my back and tried to slow my breathing and sleep. The days events kept running through my mind. I jumped when I felt an arm slip around my waist. I looked over and saw Alayna laying on her side, arm draped around my waist, curled up into me. I cautiously lifted her head up and layed it on my arm. She sighed and I closed my eyes and slipped into a peaceful slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up with the covers thrown off the bed...and Alayna laying beside me. I remembered what happened the night before and smiled. I looked over to my bedside dresser and saw that it was 12:00 p.m. The sun was peeking through my curtains. I turned my head to look back at Alayna. Her hair was sprawled out and her face was peaceful. I wish I could sleep like that.

Truth is, last night was the best sleep I've had for a very long time. I layed there for a while longer before getting out of bed; being careful not to wake Alayna up.

I grabbed my phone and walked to the living room. I had to try and cancel that inspection. Clara can not come here.

I dialed her number and waited.

Clara: Hello?

"Clara? Hey it's me, Stella. How's your day going?"

Clara: *sigh* What do you want Stella?

"What? Nothing, well...I was wondering if we could reschedule that inspection?"

Clara: I'm sorry Stella, but the date is set. Next Thursday I will be coming to your residence and talking to your parents.

"They are not my parents...you know that."

Clara: ...I'm sorry. Next Thursday I will be talking to your foster parents.

I groaned. "But the inspection can't be Thursday."

Clara: And why not?

"Because they're on a business trip. They won't be back for another three weeks."

Clara: They left you alone for three weeks?

"Yes but they left me plenty of money to live off of. I'm doing fine."

Clara: Why do I not believe you? Fine, the inspection will be postponed for another three weeks. But once they come back, you call me and let me know.

"Will do. Okay, I gotta go. And thank you again Clara."

Clara: Goodbye Stella. And call me if you need anything.

"Okay." Click.

I let out the breath I had been holding. That was a close one. Now I just had to try and call them and have them come home. I felt sick to my stomach. When did they start doing inspections? They never gave a fuck before! Why are they caring-"

"Stella?"

I jumped and turned around "Jesus! Alayna, why do you keep doing that?!"

She winced. "Sorry...I didn't mean to..."

My eyes widened and I walked up to her. "No, don't apologize like that. I'm not mad, I promise."

"Who were you talking to?"

"No one." I said quickly.

"Don't you mean your cousin? Stella, I'm not stupid."

"I never said you were!"

"Then tell me who you was talking to. And I want the truth. Don't lie to me." she said.

I can't tell her. I can't tell anyone. I learned a long time ago that if you tell, it only gets worse.

"I...I-uh..." I sighed. I can't lie to her. I have to tell her. But I've never told anyone willingly for my entire life. What would she do? Would she hate me?

I took a deep breath. "That...was child services. The person I was talking to was Clara...my social worker."

She narrowed her eyes. "Why do you have a social worker?"

"I-I uh, I don't have...I'm an-"

Bang-bang-bang!