Chapter Sixteen: The Return

"Why the sudden change of mind?"

"I'm sorry, sir." She politely mentioned, "But I don't think it's a good idea for me or I suppose, your personal assistant to be in the same penthouse with her boss. I'd prefer to have my own room please."

She turned around and was about to walk away until he called out her name once again. "Dominique."

"Sir, its Ms Acosta. Please." She insisted, already panicking in her chest, quavering deeply in side and out. Why is she feeling this way? Why so odd? What is happening?

"Ms Acosta. I know you might be feeling quite uncomfortable about what happened, but that doesn't give you any reason to say you want to leave my penthouse." He explained himself. "I don't know what you're feeling but whatsoever happened between the two of us can as well be buried. I apologise though. I guess I was caught up in the moment."

She sighed out of relief although her heart was still racing uncontrollably. She did not feel satisfied and wasn't sure if doing this was the best way to clear things up.

"I'm not saying I did that because I have feelings. I'm not a man of emotions but at that point, I got lost in the moment. I shouldn't have done such and I apologise sincerely. Am I forgiven, Dominique?"

She kept on staring at him, hearing his stern words that technically confused her a bit pass through her eardrums. "It's fine sir."

"So will you still be my roommate for the trip? Besides, I'm gonna miss your cooking if you leave." He smirked, making her fork over a smile and giggle a bit. As timid as she was, she just nodded and walked back into her room.
She bounced on her bed, filled with relief although seemed quite hollow about his words. It seemed so meaningless to him. And she would have liked for it to feel meaningless as well, but the question is, does it?
_______________________________________________

"YOU KISSED YOUR BOSS?" Lory exclaimed loudly on the phone with Dom.

"Okay, no! Technically speaking, he kissed me..."

"And you responded." Lory completed her sentence.

"Can you not rub my face in this? I feel weirded out already."

All she could hear was Lory literally giggling like a little toddler on the phone.

"And this is amusing to you? Dom yelled in a whispering tune.

"Yes."

"Why on earth do I talk to you?"

"Cos I'm your little sister who loves you and you love me too and can't literally hold such a thing in your heart cos it will eat you alive simply because you have not realized your attraction to your boss." Lory answered briefly.

"I'm not attracted to my boss!"

"Right." Lory dragged on the phone. "Anyways, if you feel uncomfortable why don't you just leave the damn apartment?"

"Already tried that but he insisted I stay. I'm not sure if you remember but he's my boss! Plus he said he likes my cooking."

"Who doesn't?"

The two laughed over the phone, then Dom got serious on the phone again.

"Lory, I had a nightmare. The same nightmare again."

Lory sighed. "Oh Lord! Not again. Dominique I have told you a million times. Please, forget about him! He's ruining your life!"

All Dom could do was sigh on the phone and try her very hardest not to cry again. She knew what Lory said was right but doesn't understand why a part of her is still scarred.